PTF97.S3.Q08 - Automobile manufacturers began... (Outside Knowledge for LR?)

strawcapnia28strawcapnia28 Core Member
edited July 2023 in Logical Reasoning 11 karma

People who don't know that going high speeds uses more gas are at a disadvantage with this question... I picked a wrong answer because I thought about not using outside knowledge.

Admin Note: Edited title. Please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of question”

Comments

• maco4538maco4538 Alum Member
    edited July 2023 323 karma

you don't need outside knowledge to get this right; you just need to spot the assumption the author is making. For any questions on flaws, strengthening or weakening, you should have a grasp of the author's assumptions before heading to answers. I promise spending extra time thinking about it will save you loads of time when browsing the answer choices.

So, let's spot the assumption:

Conclusion: the manufacturer avoided the dilemma of the lighter vehicle being less safe on high-speed highways by producing two types of vehicles: a lighter vehicle for local transportation and a heavier, safer vehicle for long distance travel.

Why?

Premise: (because) most automobile traffic is local.

Assumption: if most traffic is local then a vehicle designed for local transportation won't be travelling at high speeds.

We need to attack this assumption, which D does.

D says many drivers use high-speed highways even when travelling locally.

if D is true then the safety concern is not resolved.