Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Posting on Behalf of a 7Sage User: Is it a good idea to take the more recent PTs first?

Cherry - Student ServiceCherry - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
in General 1433 karma

I am wondering if it is a good idea to mix up the order of practice tests I take. It seems like the ones at the beginning of the list are all from early years. I am thinking I should take tests that are more recent in order to have them be more similar to the modern day ones.

Sharing this on behalf of a fellow 7Sage user. Any help and answers would be incredibly appreciated! Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• troysch1troysch1 Free Trial Member
    31 karma

Hi-

LSAT tutor with a decade of experience here. Your intuition is correct-

i recommend using tests 70-current for when you want to take full practice tests for diagnostic purposes/feeling what it's like to sit with a full test.

tests 54-69 i use for section drilling-you want a mix of questions that are relatively aligned with current tests

below 54 i use for drilling question types--when you want to tackle a particular type of game, lr question, etc.

These are slightly arbitrary divides but--

below 54 (i think it's 52 or so i never remember exact number) you lose the comparative reading passage, so reading is pretty different.

Older logic games tended to have far more rules, so not as representative.

LR questions were a bit more sloppily constructed when you go back below the 40s/30s (some implicit real world assumptions, poor vocab shifts).

Accordingly, great to use the older tests for practice on skills, I just wouldn't use them as a reliable, aligned benchmark to how you'd score on the current test.

I can't say I've seen real trends from 70 to current, though of course that will change when the logic games section gets the axe.

• kavanaghpatrick8kavanaghpatrick8 Alum Member
    32 karma

@troysch1 said:

I can't say I've seen real trends from 70 to current, though of course that will change when the logic games section gets the axe.

Is the LG section getting axed at some point in the future? Wasn't aware

• troysch1troysch1 Free Trial Member
    edited September 2023 31 karma

@kavanaghpatrick8 said:

@troysch1 said:

Is the LG section getting axed at some point in the future? Wasn't aware

Yes. TLDR--LSAC lost a lawsuit years ago now that logic games discriminated against vision-impaired folks who can't diagram. They've previously said they would remove LG in 2024, but afaik nothing firmer. You can read a bit more here-https://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/when-will-logic-games-be-removed-from-the-lsat/

So far what they've field tested was a similar idea to LG but with each question having its own limited rule set, so no big games requiring a full diagram. Again, to my recollection though, they've only done one big field test of this and it's unclear how successful that was in terms of getting reliable difficulty, curve, etc (not that LSAC can be said to be so concerned with the curve since they ditched the fourth scored section and now basically disclose as little as possible about the curve!)