Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

J.Y.'s One Year Advice

ZayyyahhZayyyahh Member
in General 26 karma
After studying The Trainer, as well as here at 7Sage. I realized that there really is much to grasp than what appears on the surface. Learning the fundamentals and building one's skills is vital to success. My original goal was to take the December LSAT, although I had from the start a four month prep period, I don't feel I can master these skills yet. (I need a 165+) In addition, I want to participate in an internship to add to my law school application.
My Question IS: How should I prepare to take the LSAT a year from now? I don't want to burn myself out, but at the same time not take things too slowly. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also any tips to improve my resume/law school application would be great!

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @isaiahcv123 said:
    How should I prepare to take the LSAT a year from now?
    I've been studying since last July and will take for the first time in October.

I went through the Trainer (using 2 different 16-week study schedules) twice. Then I worked on the 7sage curriculum. Then I took a lot (a lot) of PT's. I started PT'ing in March—1 or 2 a week until June when I switched to 3-a-week. Back to 2 or 3 a week now with some curriculum mixed in just to double cover bases and because I find it relaxing.

My diagnostic was a 152 and I was steadily in the 165+ range by, say, March or April.
  • ZayyyahhZayyyahh Member
    26 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Nice, so you really did take your time to nail it down. That's exactly how I want to feel and score at. How many hours a week did you realistically put in? I want to cover a good amount similar to your experience.
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    Bump!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I would spend a month doing a fresh LG section from the Bundle each day and then incorporating light fool proofing (3x more at most moving forward so you are only doing ~ 1-2 hours per day at most. During this time I would also do 1 RC passage per day, and say 10 random LR questions just to keep the skills fresh. Then for months 2-11 I would do 1 PT per week (with 5 sections) with excellent BR, and after a month or two of that I would focus on what my analytics are telling me my weaknesses are and shore those up with some drilling or concept studying from 7Sage or the Trainer. I would probably only study 3 non-consecutive days per week at most as long as things are going well so I have more time to relax and rest so I can absorb what I'm learning. And I would get in on the BR calls to get some other perspectives.
  • brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    Can't speak for Nicole but I started the 7Sage curriculum in December of last year and studied about 30 hours a week from that point until the June exam. During this time I supplemented with the Trainer and took a bunch of PTs.

I'm now in the finishing touches/maintenance phase and I'm putting in 10-20 hours per week, taking PTs and BRing throughly.

If @nicole.hopkins were here, she'd say, "something something..the best method is low and slow like good Texas BBQ... something something..."
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma
    @nicole.hopkins you are my model 7sager now. haha
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    @jyang72 she is for most of us ;)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @isaiahcv123 said:
    How many hours a week did you realistically put in?
    Aug 2014—Jan 2015, I'd say max of 25 hours a week; started with less, built up over time
    Feb—May 2015, about 35-40 hours/week
    June—present ... Let's say 20-25 hours/week. Building in longer multi-day breaks. About to take a big break. Coping.

You guys are really sweet :) The struggle is real. Feeling it today.
  • Coolmama09Coolmama09 Alum Member
    156 karma
    Ok so sorry to sound like an idiot but what is this "trainer" everyone talks about? Is it a book on amazon? Something via 7sage? Thanks!
    8021 karma
    The work of Mike Kim: http://www.thelsattrainer.com/
  • Coolmama09Coolmama09 Alum Member
    156 karma
    Thank you as always @ Pacifico
    8021 karma
    No problem, that's what I'm here for. You can find it on amazon and it's Prime eligible so you can have it ASAP. Don't listen to the negative reviews on there about typos and such. I was put off by them initially and then took the leap because of recommendations here and I found them to be almost completely unfounded so I don't know if those people had an earlier version or something. I'd recommend reading some of the sample chapters on his site to get a feel for his style and if it jives with you then I guarantee you won't regret buying it.