PTC.S3.Q20 - Reporters, by allotting time to some events rather than others

hollyrose613hollyrose613 Live Member
edited November 2023 in Logical Reasoning 165 karma

PTC S3 Q20

Does someone have a good explanation as to why this answer is E? There is not an explanation video on this question, and I got this question wrong #help

Admin Note: Edited title. For LR questions, please use the format: "PT#.S#.Q# - brief description of the question."

Comments

• AmericanInJapanAmericanInJapan Alum Member
    73 karma

Hello!

First off, it's not really relevant, but I hate the word untainted. It's my "moist," ugh.

So we need to find what these two disagree about. We should be able to absolutely point to something and say "they would absolutely agree" and "the other would absolutely disagree"

So let's gather the facts. Sarah is chilling there like "hey reporters actually always interpret the news because they actually have to choose what stories to report. They have to decide what is newsworthy"

Ramon comes in like whoa whoa reporters should never interpret the news. Just decide what is newsworthy and tell me it.

Before we even go into the answer choices, we should be able to find how Ramon was just stupid and didn't actually understand what Sarah said.

Sarah said that reporters always interpret the news because they interpret it to decide what is newsworthy or not. Maybe this is something like MSNBC's staff trying to decide if the rescued puppy in Des Moines, Iowa is national news or not. They're interpreting what happened to decide if it should be on the 6 o'clock news or not.

Ramon did not understand this. He's saying that the interpretation happens AFTER deciding if the Des Moines puppy was newsworthy or not. And he says they shouldn't actually "interpret" the news (I think he means give their opinion) the news should just tell them about the puppy.

So I'm going into the answer choices looking for that. The fact is that Sarah thinks interpretation happens at deciding what to report, and Ramon thinks interpretation is giving your opinion on the news.

A: This is wrong. Ramon would hate this, but we don't know what Sarah would think. Sarah never talked about reporting, she talked about the decision on whether to report. Nope.

B: They would both agree with this.

C: When did we ever talk about primary responsibility? We didn't, so we can't point explicitly to whether they would agree or disagree.

D - Again we never talked about this. Who is writing these? I guess we could reallllllly stretch it out here and if we are deciding what is newsworthy or not that means we are saying some are not, but neither are giving their opinion on that.

E: FINALLY. Yes. Sarah says that deciding is interpretation, Ramon says interpretation is later. This is our answer.

Hope this helps!