PT3.S4.Q20 - Homelessness is a serious social problem

betchel.belachew-1-1betchel.belachew-1-1 Core Member
edited November 2023 in Logical Reasoning 7 karma

So I answered D, and it was incorrect. Correct answer is C, can anyone please provide help as to why this answer was incorrect and why C was correct?

help

Admin note: edited title; please use the format of "PT#.S#.Q# - [first set of words]"

Comments

• AmericanInJapanAmericanInJapan Alum Member
    73 karma

Did this passage make you angry? Because it made me angry. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU BLUBBERING IDIOT JUST BECAUSE THERES HOUSING DOESN'T MEAN THEY CAN AFFORD IT.

Oh...this is a role question. Nvm. Still mad about it though.

We need to figure out what role, if any (that's the key), that the first statement that homelessness is a serious social issue plays in the argument.

First, let's take a look at the conclusion. The conclusion is what?

It's the last sentence. The claim that others are making that homelessness is because of a lack of housing is false because I looked at a paper one time and saw a $2 million mansion. If only these kids would stop eating avocado toast, they could afford this.

So does homelessness being a serious social issue relate to this conclusion? Not really. It's just kind of laying down some background, a problem that this politician and other people seemingly disagree about how to solve.

D is saying that the politician wants to discredit the statement. Is the politician trying to discredit that homelessness is a serious issue? Not at all. The politician is trying to discredit the argument that homelessness is because of a lack of housing.

C is correct because it doesn't matter if we agree with the politician or not. Nobody is arguing that homelessness is a serious problem. So you can accept the conclusion that housing isn't the issue, or you can refute it and say it is because of housing, both sides can use "homelessness is a serious issue" as the background for their solutions.

Hope this helps! I'm going for a walk.