Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Self-studiers: when you are reviewing an answer and completely stuck, what resources do you turn to?

MyCatisCuteMyCatisCute Core Member

As the title says - for self-studiers, how do you go about finding a correct answer to a challenging question if you do not have a tutor?

For me, I try to use 7Sage’s explanation videos, but those can still leave me with questions or without clarity, or explanation videos are lacking.

Comments

• WoodsCommaElleWoodsCommaElle Live Member
    399 karma

LSATHacks, Powerscore, and Manhattan Prep all have full explanations for RC and LR that I find immensely helpful as a supplement to 7sage explanations :) That, and fellow 7sagers!

• kaiya123kaiya123 Core Member
    edited November 2023 95 karma

Have you looked through the comments left by other 7sagers for that particular video? I have found that when I am really stuck on something, so are many other people. In many instances, taking the time to sift through the comments is worth the while. If your question is not reflected in the comments, then I would recommended leaving a comment with your question and someone may reply to it.

If none of the above are helpful, I would star the question, lesson, etc. and keep moving along.

When studying for this exam, it is important to realize:

1. Just because you are having trouble with one particular question does not mean that you are bad at a section - some questions are just really tough. Even if you were able to figure out how to solve the question, it may turn out that on test day, it would be more advantageous to skip the question as it would take too long.

2. When it is time to move on. Yes, it is important to persevere when things are hard. The fact that you keep trying is what will help you succeed in law school. However, time is limited..so if you have put in a good effort and still do not understand it then just keep it moving. You may find that as your progress in your studies, that you know exactly how to solve the question you were struggling with. Best of luck!

• yhtkimyhtkim Core Member
    215 karma

The Powerscore forum and 7sage's comment sections have helped me here and there. Reviewing the strategies in Ellen Cassidy's Loophole has been helpful too.

With that being said, I very much second what kaiya123 says about moving on. I used to spend up to two hours reviewing a single question. This was detrimental both to my understanding and motivation. It's important to keep in mind that it's really hard to go -0 in LR. When you're struggling with curvebreakers that venture into the 175+ range and things just aren't clicking, skip it. These questions will often involve weirdly deep inferences. Sometimes, they'll break the "rules" of the LSAT (e.g. they'll attack premises). Your time and effort is better spent on sharpening your fundamentals. Personally, even if I had all the time and energy in the world, I wouldn't spend more than 10 minutes reviewing these questions. The inferences/mindset they demand can have you deviating from tried and true strategies, overthinking simpler questions you'd never miss otherwise.