Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Advice!! GPA Addendum

roserasharoserasha Alum Member

I had maintained a 4.0 GPA until I decided to switch my major to follow in my sister's footsteps into dentistry, aiming to make my parents proud. This decision, especially transitioning to a science major in my junior year, was extremely challenging due to my longstanding dislike for science. This struggle led to a severe Adderall addiction as I attempted to numb the reality of my situation, significantly impacting my grades during this incredibly difficult period where I was taking about seven classes, including science labs, simultaneously.

Additionally, I had to enroll in classes at different universities due to issues with attending classes properly while juggling a demanding schedule, including a dental assistant job from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm, with an hour's drive to college and back every day. After realizing the extent of their pressure, my parents eventually agreed to support my ambition to pursue law, provided I steered clear of criminal law. However, my grades worsened in my senior year as I struggled to find myself again, having lost my identity amid these challenges. The experience of living through others' expectations severely affected me. Despite these hardships, my desire to become a lawyer, a dream I've harbored since childhood, remains strong. Yet, I'm concerned about how my past sacrifices might impact my future in law. My GPA eventually dropped to a 3.0, and I had to graduate months later due to the time required for my classes to transfer.

I need advice on how to explain that, although I failed classes at my home university, I performed well at other universities. Oddly, it seemed to be a mental challenge; my home university, initially chosen for its excellent law program, symbolized my dreams and passions. The disheartening experiences there made it difficult to appreciate the school or feel happy. This contrast in performance might be attributed to my perception of lost dreams at my home university, which is why I excelled in the same classes at different universities when I took them for a non-degree purpose.

I'm seeking guidance on how to articulate this complex journey in a GPA addendum, unsure of the best approach to take.