Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting to plateau and feeling really depressed

Hi guys,

I am very nervous and depressed after taking 5 PTs and looking for advice for my October LSAT.

My diagnostic around early June was a 161. I have spent 7 weeks on 7sage and Manhatton, and also finished the Cambridge LSAT by category. I have taken 5 PTs in the past two week. However, it looks like I am plateauing at around 168-169 and my goal is to get a 170+ on test day.

As for LR, in the past 5 tests I went -7 (pt 70), -6 (pt57), -4 (pt 55), -4(pt73), -9(pt58). In light of question types, totally, I missed 5 for MSS, 5 NA, 5 Flaw, 2 PF, 3 Weaken, 3 Strengthen, 2 Resolve reconcile, 1 MBF, 1MC, 1Para, 1 Argument part and 1 Misc. I feel that 20% of these questions are really difficult that I could not figure out the correct answer by myself. Another 20% are really simple that I either misread the question stem (like misread weakening question as strengthen question) or overlook a key word. The remaining are the ones I am struggling between two choices and end up with the wrong one. Also, for the correct questions, I am also not certain for about 15% of the questions.

As for RC, I went -6 (pt 70), -4 (pt57), -2 (pt 55), -6(pt73), -4(pt58). I am bad at the questions with answers in abstract language, and the analogy question. And some times I have trouble with the difficult words.

As for LG, I went -0 (pt 70), -3 (pt57), -1 (pt 55), -0(pt73), -0(pt58).

Overall I'm having a really hard time making the marginal gains I need to get myself consistently above 170. This is almost my last chance to take LSAT, therefore, I really want to do well. Please do not hesitate to give me any advice you regard as helpful. Also, I am wondering if I need to hire a personal tutor since there is only 5 weeks left. Thank you guys.

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    First of all... 5 PTs may as well be 0 PTs... That is nothing. Why would you expect to master something after only doing it 5 times?

Second, what are your BR scores? If they're in the mid 170s or higher then you have nothing to worry about, just keep plugging away and don't waste money on a tutor. You didn't mention BR so I worry you're not doing it. If you are, do you use a clean test or the one you took? The former is awesome, the latter is terrible. I learned that the hard way.

Third, this is going to sound wicked harsh but don't take it the wrong way: from the tone of your post, your attitude sucks. You sound totally self-defeating and like you felt entitled to a 170+ after just studying some materials. Lose the ego and get to work.

Fourth, 20% reading errors on question stems is unacceptable in the range you're shooting for. At least as practice, make a shorthand for every LR question type and so, for example, when you see it's a strengthening question then draw an "S" next to the stimulus to just reinforce it
    Finally, if you really want to be a lawyer, you'll do it no matter what. So either this isn't your "almost last chance to take the LSAT" or you don't actually NEED a 170. Sure I'd love to go to Stanford but it's not happening in this universe, and I may not even get into any reaches or targets. But I want to be a lawyer so even if I miss the 170+ range and get a 164 I can get into a law school and become a lawyer which is what actually matters in the long run. You really need to be comfortable with any outcome that results in you becoming a lawyer and that will also help you by removing all this undue pressure you're stressing yourself out with. Also, understand how lucky you are to be in the position you're in already. I have advised dozens of kids that aren't where you are after 30 PTs. So lose the entitlement and put in the work if you really want this.

I told you it was going to be harsh. Good luck and feel free to hit me up if you still have questions.

• harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    ^ @Pacifico , you're advice is always amazing.
  • QQ ILLSATQQ ILLSAT Member
    34 karma
    Dear Pacifico,
    Thank you for your timely reply. They are extremely helpful and I do appreciate it. I have some follow-up questions.

First, in light of BR, I usually review all the questions in LR and RC in the following way: review one question, then immediately listen to the explanation video, then move to the next one, repeat the step. However, I only review on the ones I took and my BR score is usually almost the same: while I usually correct few simple wrongs, I always miss few confused ones that my initial choice is correct. I am wondering if this is the correct way to do BR?

Second, I am worried because I have almost finished all the LR sections from pt1-38, therefore, I am thinking about why I still miss so many LR questions.

Finally, in terms of the plan, I plan to do 3 PTs per week for the remaining 5 weeks. I am wondering if this is reasonable or would you recommend any alternatives like more PTs per week?

Thank you so much. I am looking forward to your advice.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    BR a clean copy of the test so you don't fight your ego to change your original answer. I used to not use a clean copy and my BR was never more than 2-4 above my timed score because I would just talk myself back into my original answer. So my BR was simply a function of my timed score. Since switching to a clean copy all but one of my BR scores has been in the 170s. And you really need to have your BR in the mid to high 170s if you want to actually score in the 170s come test day.

Stop drilling or worrying about old tests. Focus on excellent BR as described above and you'll be fine since you'll be taking the time to dissect each answer. Also, BR the whole test before moving onto the videos. BR should be kept somewhat sacred. You need to get an unadulterated assessment of your skills and so anything you get wrong that you circled you should be spending the time to break down the stimulus into its component parts and the show why four answers are wrong and one is right. Watching videos during this part of the process just interrupts the flow of BR in my opinion. Additionally, you'll need ip watching too many videos since you really only need to watch the ones for questions you get wrong during BR. So take the test timed, BR the test, score the test, and then use those analytics to sort out what you must work on.

Don't do more than 3 PTs a week because you will burn out and won't be focused on quality. Just do a MWF PT and take at least a day or two off. Make sure to get plenty of rest and also you really need to relax a bit as well.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @"QQ ILLSAT" said:
    This is almost my last chance to take LSAT, therefore, I really want to do well. Please do not hesitate to give me any advice you regard as helpful.
    Ok :)

Deep breath.

You're doing GREAT.

Number one priority is to take care of yourself and focus on success thus far. You need to build your confidence.

Number two priority is to take some PT's :D I recommend you join the BR group (look in the study groups subforum). We'll be doing 2-3 PT's a week until the week before the test. And chill out about variations in scores. If you start seeing sub-165 scores in the next few weeks, that's a different story (likely burnout).

Number three priority is to take it at the right pace. Don't exhaust yourself. This is a marathon. The race is ahead of you. Do not hurt your chance of success by overtraining.
    edited August 2015 7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    from the tone of your post, your attitude sucks. You sound totally self-defeating and like you felt entitled to a 170+ after just studying some materials. Lose the ego and get to work.
    Wow ... amen to this. I needed to hear this too.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    make a shorthand for every LR question type and so, for example, when you see it's a strengthening question then draw an "S" next to the stimulus to just reinforce it
    I do this and I swear by it! I've been doing this as long as I've been PT'ing and it helps me to kind of "reset" my brain for each Q.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Sure I'd love to go to Stanford but it's not happening in this universe, and I may not even get into any reaches or targets. But I want to be a lawyer so even if I miss the 170+ range and get a 164 I can get into a law school and become a lawyer which is what actually matters in the long run. You really need to be comfortable with any outcome that results in you becoming a lawyer and that will also help you by removing all this undue pressure you're stressing yourself out with. Also, understand how lucky you are to be in the position you're in already. I have advised dozens of kids that aren't where you are after 30 PTs. So lose the entitlement and put in the work if you really want this.
    Wow, hold on ... Pacifico, are you available for speaking engagements? Because I am straight up fired up by what you're throwing down here. I really needed to hear this as well. Kudos, man. ... I am so refreshed and encouraged!!
  • QQ ILLSATQQ ILLSAT Member
    34 karma
    @Pacifico said:

Thank you so much! Though I get another 169 in PT 65, I get a 176 in the BR according to your instruction. I am more confident now. LOL~