PT58.S4.Q05 - company president: for the management consultant

AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
edited January 2016 in General 2424 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-58-section-4-question-05/
OK. So I have a problem with this question. Sorry if this is a destructive mindset!

The conclusion states that because they are only interviewing people for the management consulting position from the top 1 percent of firms worldwide, then they can rest assured that their ultimate selection would be ONE OF THE BEST available.

To me that doesn't presume that ONLY THE BEST work at these firms. You can acknowledge that people who work at other firms are some of the best and even better that the ones who work at the firms in the top 1 percent but still rest assured that the ones who work at the top are one of the best at their job.

To me the flaw rested in the fact that they didn't specify what type of job the person had at one of the top firms. Maybe he could have been the janitor or something else completely unrelated to management consulting so that's why it can't be said that they are one of the best at that.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    "A" is correct because the company president is assuming that all employees who work for the top management firms are the best at what they do.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 2424 karma
    So your explanation would make me understand why A is the right answer; however, answer A says that the president presumes that "only the" people at those firms are the best at what they do. There seems to be a difference between saying that all employees who work for the top management firms are the best at what they do and saying that only those who work at those firms are the best. No?
    1654 karma
    @Alejandro
    That is not what he's saying. He's not saying that "only the employees at the firm are the best." Rather, he's saying that "the only employees at the firm are the best." They are two completely different statements. The latter statement assumes that there are not any mediocre employees who work at the best firms, which is what the argument is assuming.
    1654 karma
    He's advocating for hiring only those at the best firms because that will ensure that they hire the best workers, which is flawed.
  • AlejandroAlejandro Member Inactive ⭐
    2424 karma
    Hey @alexandergreen93 yup they are completely different statements! I guess I misread the conditional logic there so thank you for pointing that out and making me realize my mistake.

"only the best management consultants have worked for the top management firms" translates to what you said: "the only employees at firm are the best." I confused "only the" with "the only" cause I'm an idiot. Anyways, thanks!