Discouraging

reid.elisabeth94reid.elisabeth94 Free Trial Member
Hi,

I have been studying for the Oct. 2015 LSAT since (essentially) July 1. I work a full-time job, and have recently moved to a new city, and have been adjusting to that.

I had a very high GPA in college, which is why I am putting a lot of pressure on myself to do well this October. I feel like a score under 167 is unrepresentative of myself as a student.

That being said, I have taken 5 practice tests (I realize this is few, I plan to take 30 in total), and have scored two points lower each time I take them (162 down to a 158 yesterday). This have been PT 52-56.

I have been studying on my own, using resources given to me by friends who have scored in the 170s. I just recently found 7Sage, and have done only one BR.

I can't afford to sign up for the entire 7Sage program, and feel at this point, it is too late. I am a month out of the test.

I would really, really appreciate any feedback/reality checks. Because I work a full time job, I would REALLY like to be finished with this test after October, and get my applications in for this year. If December is necessary, so be it. I already feel burned out on studying... which is probably absurd giving how little I've.

Thanks for such a helpful community!

RW

Comments

• tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    If December is possible for you I wouldn't take it in October if you're not happy with your score. I don't know your situation but is it possible to save up and purchase the starter pkg and aim for December? If not, what about The Trainer? It's cheaper.
  • reid.elisabeth94reid.elisabeth94 Free Trial Member
    21 karma
    Do you believe if I started now, I would have enough time come December? I worry about burning out on studying, and just like most people postponing, fear that a late LSAT is a huge disadvantage for applications. I also have the parents who would not support this decision, and believe I am overreacting about my low scores.

I have read Powerscore LG and LR, and use Manhattan prep handouts. I forgot to add that my BR (which I went back and did for my previous tests, after finding this set), is a generally consistent 164. Highest being 168.

I keep thinking that there is something I am doing wrong when I actually take the tests. I don't feel like my scores are reflective of my studying, but it's possible I am just studying the wrong way... for an unfortunate two months.

Thanks for your response, I really appreciate any feedback I can get.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    I'm on my phone and out and about so I will post longer advice later but two glaring things need to be addressed.

First, lose the ego. This test has nothing to do with how smart you are or how great a student you were in UG. You need to get out of your head about that stuff or you're just setting yourself up for constant disappointment when things don't go your way.

Second, postpone until December and go pick up a copy of the LSAT Trainer by Mike Kim. Burn the Powerscore stuff and use the light to read the Trianer. You have more than enough time to reach your goal in December. Just lose the bad habits and get to work. Good luck!
    21 karma
    Thanks for the reality check.

Would you suggest doing 7Sage starter in combination with Kim's book? Or do you believe Kim's book will be substantial enough on it's own, given that I have been studying for two months already (albeit incorrectly).

I can afford the starter program if it would be beneficial this far down the road.

I'm really hoping to get into a T14 school. Not ego based, just a goal. Despite the comment threads I have read, I still fear a later application (and missing out on Early Decision).

Thanks again.
  • tanes256tanes256 Alum Member
    2573 karma
    Plenty of people here are using both 7 Sage and The Trainer but I think you'll be fine with either. I use both for a better understanding if I have any trouble. For me, one seems to clarify what I didn't quite understand from the other. And I do believe you'll have enough time to prepare for December if you start now. Good luck!
    8021 karma
    Early decision is pretty worthless outside of NU since it gives you little if any boost and takes away all of your negotiation leverage. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid most ED setups are for law schools.

7Sage and the Trainer work incredibly well together, though I think due to their different setups you should pick one, do it first, then start the other to supplement your knowledge base. If money is an issue, grab the Trainer now and save money for a couple weeks while you work through that and then get 7Sage.
    21 karma
    Very helpful, thank you both.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @Pacifico
    @reid.elisabeth94 .
    UVA gives a considerable boost for ED applicants as well.
  • jac376jac376 Free Trial Member
    edited August 2015 23 karma
    Don't study habits and skills as much, instead shift your way of thinking and mind set such that those habits and skills flow naturally, without much force. In that way, the effectiveness of those habits and skills will be maximized. Anything forced is never as good as that same thing flowing naturally from an outlook with which it is mutually inclusive.

My 2 cents.
    8021 karma
    Is it a 50k a year boost?
    1654 karma
    No, but there's a better chance of getting accepted.
    1654 karma
    Scholarship money is just one variable to take into consideration.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    is just one variable to take into consideration.
    i feel this
    edited August 2015 1654 karma
    @Pacifico
    @nicole.hopkins
    FYI, I've heard that Northwestern does not give an ED boost. Yes, applicants who are accepted thought the ED process get 50k a year, but that doesn't mean it's easier to get in. It is likely more difficult. Think about it: why would NU give a reach applicant virtually a full scholarship? They award a 50k scholarship as an incentive for top scorers to attend Northwestern. Reach applicants will likely be deferred to regular decision. Applicants who are competitive for NU ED are likely to be competitive applicants for CCN and possibly HYS.
    7965 karma
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    FYI, I've heard that Northwestern does not give an ED boost.
    I'm leaning towards UT ED which does limit scholarship money but (according to the school) is boosty.
    8021 karma
    Right but it's free. Most ED programs just take away your negotiating power, so if you're cool with around 200k in debt then go for it. Personally I finished UG with 90k and that shit sucked so I'm glad I'm not doing that again and when people ask for advice about it I would say an almost full ride to NU beats out most other likely outcomes outside of going to HYS.
    edited August 2015 7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    I would say an almost full ride to NU beats out most other likely outcomes outside of going to HYS.
    Yeah. But that assumes we get in! Actual ED benefits notwithstanding ... I think what it boils down to (at least in this discussion) is whether ED for NU or elsewhere helps admissions (We know it helps with $$). It seems schools vary as to whether there is any admissions boost.
    @nicole.hopkins
    I imagine you will get a boost at UT, especially considering you went to Princeton (Go Tigers!), are from the DFW area, have substantive work experience and love Ted Cruz. You're their dream applicant.
    UT--->Big 3 (V&E, Baker Botts, Fulbright Jaworski)
    7965 karma
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    Yes, applicants who are accepted thought the ED process get 50k a year, but that doesn't mean it's easier to get in.
    I wonder if there are any stats for NU ED folks? Just LSN?
    7965 karma
    @nicole.hopkins
    http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211572
    The applicant who was deferred to RD and eventually accepted had a 2.8 and a 176.