PT19.S4.Q15 - grow-again ointment is a proven treatment

JessabelleJessabelle Alum Member
edited January 2016 in Logical Reasoning 34 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-19-section-4-question-15/
I'm not sure how to understand why the right answer is right. The business student in me says E is the most right but I can understand why it's not 'the' right answer.
I'm trying to figure out why a product who's frequency is not able to be increased means that a rebate isn't ideal.

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited August 2015 2398 karma
    The argument is flawed in that the author fails to consider some really key information. We tend to think that offering a lower price for something would attract more people to buy a product, but the author completely fails to consider that this may be the case--that the rebate may cause more people to want to purchase the treatment because of the lower price than would otherwise do so. And if the amount of new customers is substantial enough, the new business would more than offset the rebate.

C strengthens the argument by eliminating this possibility.

As for E, this choice has nothing to do witth the argument's reasoning or the gap that a lower price may lead to more customers. Also, we have no information that a rebate could lead to the product being produced in large quantities. What's in dispute is the overall profitability through increased sales, and E has nothing to do with these issues.

Hope this helps!
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    E is irrelevant. C strengthens the argument by saying that the rebate will not attract new customers, which supports the conclusion that the mandate would not increase sales.