Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about applying for Law School

shaharyaransarishaharyaransari Free Trial Member
edited August 2015 in General 7 karma
Hi Guys
I have a question I hope someone can answer, I am currently on track to take the LSAT in this coming october. The question that I have is that due to some unforseen circumstances in the past i have to retake 2 courses in this coming fall as well. These courses will affect my gpa (in a good way). Will Law Schools take into consideration my final grades, will these grades be updated as the year goes on (if i dont get accepted in the first wave and would it make more sense for me to apply later for those law schools that will accept my application at a later date so everything is updated all at one point (vs applying early with a lower gpa). Thanks in advance

Comments

• bruno.dalsantobruno.dalsanto Alum Member
    94 karma
    The GPA law schools will considered is the GPA you have once they get to your application in their review process. You can update later and it might help your case, for example if you get waitlisted.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    They will want your updated transcripts regardless just like any rising senior that is applying to go K-JD. So if the grades will improve your GPA then at worst they make no difference and at best it's a slight help.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    You will likely hear back from many schools before the semester ends.
    8021 karma
    That all depends on where your numbers fall... Double tapped below both 25ths or above both 75ths that is true... Most everyone else will be waiting until January or later.
  • shaharyaransarishaharyaransari Free Trial Member
    edited August 2015 7 karma
    Thanks everyone for the responses, just two follow up questions, if im expected to hear back from the school before the semester ends is the response going to be something like "no you are not accepted" or is it going to be "you are not accepted in this cycle", also Pacifico im relatively new to this so what exactly do you mean by "Double tapped below both 25ths or above both 75ths that is true". Thanks in advance
    8021 karma
    Those statements you have in quotes are identical. And I was referring to people with GPA/LSAT combos where both are either above the 75th percentiles for a school, or below the 25th percentiles. Rolling admissions for law school are not true rolling admissions as is the case with UG programs that have it. By and large only the top students will get accepted before 1 January and only the bottom students will get rejected before then. Most people in the middle will see their applications held until schools start to get a better picture of what they will need to maintain their medians. So it's not first come first served, its first come, best and worst served.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    @Pacifico
    I followed hundreds of applicants on LSN last cycle and many splitters and reach candidates heard in November and December. Your insight is mainly true for HYS (mainly H), but most other schools give out offers, waitlists, and rejections ASAP. There's a reason why people who wait until January or February to apply almost get an automatic waitlist.
    8021 karma
    You followed <.5% of law school applicants on a site that is notorious for selection bias and therefore I would take that with a grain of salt. I absolutely agree that Jan/Feb is late and have always maintained that throughout my posts. If you're over the 75th in LSAT you're more likely to get a response sooner since most schools favor protecting their LSAT numbers over their GPAs and the former has less wiggle room. I still maintain if you're hovering between the 25th and 75th that you're less likely to receive a reply as soon as the more elite candidates and the ones with lower numbers. I've seen actual adcoms mention this time and again and I would take their authority on the matter to better illustrate a point than a small sampling of unrepresentative people.
  • shaharyaransarishaharyaransari Free Trial Member
    edited September 2015 7 karma
    Thanks once again for the responses, you guys have been a great help