Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LR/LG strategy

cryallcryall Alum Member
edited November 2013 in General 52 karma
Hey everyone! Just thought I would give some input on what seems to have worked for me for the LR, hope it helps someone. I cannot stress enough how important skipping questions really is! I am always stubborn with trying new strategies, but I implemented something new with my LR and it has really helped I think!

I use to do questions 1-14 then skip to 22-end and then return to 15-21. I would usually score around an 18 and 17 on both LRs. I found that I would end up guessing on 4-5 questions each section with this strategy.

I found that skipping in this manner really messed with my mind. I found that I would skip to 22 and then read 22 not understand it, freak out, and then loss time.

Now I just go straight through the section question 1-end. I find that there is usually 2-3 questions in each LR that I honestly begin to read, do not understand the wording, and know that even after 5 minutes I still wouldn't. I use to honestly try and figure it but now if I begin one of these "hard" questions I circle it and skip it. I find that I skip around 3 questions, reach the end of the test, and then usually have to guess on these three questions because time is out. The last practice test I took I got a 21 on each section and I know for sure that it is because of this strategy.

In the end, I think skipping around like I use to messed with my mind, now I just go straight through and skip any questions in which I do not understand the wording, structure, or topic.

This strategy may seem simple and has probably already been discussed in length but I really support it. I usually score anywhere from a 159-162 and on my last PT I got a 166, and I think this had a huge role in it. Just don't freak out, skip anything you don't get and move on!

Now for LG. I think the LG is a section that is easy to improve upon. The most important thing that I do is to thrash through the easier/basic linear games. This gives you so much more time to attack the harder games in the section. If the linear game does not really limit the possibilities (say we have 7 slots and only know where really 1 variable can go), the first thing I do is quickly write out 3-4 possible solutions to the linear game. It is important to try and vary the leading and ending variable if you can. With this I am able, most of the time, to knock out 75% of the questions in under 3 minutes. Also the second thing I recommend is if there is a early global question (like which of the following CANNOT be true?) I skip it and come back to it later. I find that the relative questions (If A is first, then where can C be?) can usually help you answer that global question because by the end of the section you have usually done at least 3-4 more possible solutions next the questions. I usually get either -1 or -0 on LG.

I am not an LSAT expert (far from it) I usually PT in the lower 160s (RC is my weakness), but I thought I would give my two cents on what works for me for the average test taker. Good luck and tell me what you guys think!!

Comments