Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). "Takes for Granted" Phrase - 7Sage Forum

"Takes for Granted" Phrase

rutemayalewrutemayalew Live Member

I don't understand the meaning of this phrase when used in answer choices for questions concerning argument flaws. Like does it mean that the argument is flawed because there could have been stronger use of this aspect that was taken for granted? Does it mean the argument is flawed because it drew a weak/misguided conclusion from this aspect?

Comments

• sunflowerpearlssunflowerpearls Core Member
    25 karma

I used to have the same struggle! Whenever I read an AC that has this phrase, I immediately substitute it with "assumes without proof or reason." So, for ex, an AC like this: "It takes for granted that the options it considers are mutually exclusive" -- I read it as "It assumes without proof that the options it considers are mutually exclusive."

• equallyyokedequallyyoked Live Member
    edited August 3 470 karma

I read take for granted to say something like:
    You think that I am supposed to already know that…

• beyondpossumbeyondpossum Live Member
    edited August 4 89 karma

The "doesn't appreciate" sense of "takes for granted" is an idiom. It leverages the idea that when you don't appreciate a thing, you assume it will always be there and do not think how unfortunate it will be for it to be gone. "Take for granted", in the first order, literally refers to assuming a proposition to be true--as if this proposition has been granted, or allowed to be inducted into the conversation by your interlocutor--such that you no longer have to worry aboput defending this proposition. If you want to mount a persuasive argument, you can only take propositions for granted if they are obvious, uncontroversial, explicity granted, or evidenced etc. So on the exam, "takes for granted" ACs are what you choose when the stim has an illicit assumption in it.