Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). Writing about Bipolar Disorder in diversity statement? - 7Sage Forum

Writing about Bipolar Disorder in diversity statement?

MFbloom77MFbloom77 Core Member
in General 6 karma

I suffer from Bipolar Disorder and am wondering whether I should write about that in a diversity statement. Also, I ended up withdrawing from school for a year because of my condition so I probably ought to write about that in an addendum. I assume if I'm writing about it in my addendum it's probably unnecessary to write about it in a diversity statement but just wanted to make sure. Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• bkontokbbkontokb Live Member
    46 karma

As someone who can relate closely to this (ahem), it's not a good idea. Don't let "mental health awareness" fool you: elite (law, medical, etc.) institutions WILL discriminate against you for this. On paper, they cannot. But if you give them that information, it will likely be used against you in an illicit way. These schools--above all else--want successful graduates, i.e., ideally, politicians, corporate suits, etc. Now, let me tell you: there are multiple people in my family with BP, two Harvard grads and a Dmouth grad, two law degrees and a medical degree, all of whom have gone on to do stellar things. Anecdotally, these people are successful. But that does not change the fact that BP still evokes uncertainty and fear in people who don't know what they're talking about--statistically, the vast majority of the pop. And I am certain that had the times been different when these relatives applied to their schools, had they chosen to admit their struggles to adcoms, their chances of admission would not have been as high. Brutal, unfair, but I believe true. As for your addendum, focus on quite literally anything else you did during that year other than convalesce.

Remember: you may suffer more than most folks around you...but you're probably always going to be the most interesting person in the room!

Good luck--you're going to sweep law school.

Pro-tip: NEVER EVER EVER make your identity this diagnosis. Ever. You are you. You are not damned. You can do everything anyone else can do. Rooting for you.

• WarmVermouthWarmVermouth Core Member
    edited August 26 9 karma

Hi! I also have bipolar and was told by multiple people not to mention it. I know you know this, but people still have weird views on mental illness. I’m also writing an addendum, as I wasn’t diagnosed until post graduation and my grades somewhat reflect that, but I’m not including my specific diagnosis. I’m just saying I had medical issues. This shit really, really sucks. I wish people were cooler about it but I don’t think we’re there yet. Close, though. Good luck to you!!