Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Burnout is real

7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
in General 932 karma
I got burned out and said eff the LSAT for two weeks... Now it's time to refocus and get back the momentum before gameday. The moral to the story is burnout is real. The End.

Comments

• splitterhopefulsplitterhopeful Alum Member
    340 karma
    How much time were you studying that led to burnout?
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @7sagelsatstudent180 said:
    The moral to the story is burnout is real. The End.
    Truth!
  • 7sagelsatstudent1807sagelsatstudent180 Alum Member
    edited September 2015 932 karma
    Since April I've done 15-20 hours a week of LSAT work... 7sage course, 2-3 PTs a week, BR and Retakes, reading the LSAT trainer cover to cover a couple of times, personal statement and application prep... Working 48-52 hours a week at full time job 7:30am- 6pm.... Just got a little tired of it and wanted a break...
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    ^ YEP, that would definitely do it!!
  • jyang72jyang72 Alum Member
    844 karma
    @7sagelsatstudent180, oh yeah. I dedicated 40+ hours per week in the summer and burned out 3 times... now school just started. I will try to balance my school work and LSAT.
  • medianplus30medianplus30 Member
    36 karma
    I'm just recovering from a burn-out. My score once fell 12 points from my highest score. Fun fun!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Y'all need to chill and treat yourselves to a few White Russians...
  • medianplus30medianplus30 Member
    36 karma
    Ah. I wish, but my brain stays slow the next day, even though I don't drink much when I do.

A part of me feels like I should know when I need a break from studying, but I feel as if I want to push myself. I need more endurance, but I guess I need to work on that over time. And I need to BR more efficiently. That will start the next time I PT.
  • LSATdogfmlLSATdogfml Free Trial Member
    62 karma
    I was doing a PT a day and dropped 10 points. It's been a week and I'm still not back in the 170s. HALP guys
    7965 karma
    @LSATdogfml

Take

A

BREAK

Who the heck ever told you to take a PT a day? Can't think of a single same/trusted source who would advise that. Tsk tsk.
  • LSATdogfmlLSATdogfml Free Trial Member
    62 karma
    @nicole.hopkins had two month to study and only a little over a month to practice actual questions. Figured that's the only way to finish enough preptests. LOL foolish foolish decision. Don't do what I did everyone. DON'T.
    7965 karma
    @LSATdogfml said:
    Figured that's the only way to finish enough preptests. LOL foolish foolish decision.
    that's why we say it takes longer than 3 months. plenty of us have been at it a year.
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    217 karma
    Still recovering from my last burnout.... I know the moment my brain broke. It was in that on campus class I was (emphasis on was) taking when I heard the professor say "Don't read the reading comprehension passages." My brain *clicked*..There may have been a boy-yo-yoing sound and steam as well. I hated law school and the frackin LSAT. I had hypersomnia for 4 days (I was only awake about 4 hours a day) and I did not care about the test. Which turned out to be a good thing... I have found most of the time I'd take a day off so as not to burnout but I'd fret all day about how I should be studying not binge watching Sons of Anarchy (my new guilty pleasure :) ).... This last round of burnout my body forced me to take down time. I did not care about the mounds of LSAT prep and finishing my upcoming application. I feel better now...for the most part. I've scheduled a campus tour and class sit-in for this week so I can stay engaged yet still get away from this desk. Best of luck to you all. Burnout is real and can be VERY serious.
  • lsatblitzlsatblitz Alum Member
    521 karma
    Although these breaks are necessary, I took 4 days off last week, but I haven't been able to get back on the groove I was on before taking the break. I was doing great, decided to reward myself with a break, but have yet to get my scores back to where I was before the break.

Taking breaks are obviously necessary and awesome, but I've learned that anything more than a day or two off a week can hurt more than it can help.
  • KbrizzleKbrizzle Member
    22 karma
    I'm glad to read this thread. I took 4 days off last week and felt so incredibly guilty. I knew burnout happened, but I refused to let myself just relax and told myself I was making excuses. I feel so much better after the break!
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    217 karma
    @lsatblitz said:
    I took 4 days off last week, but I haven't been able to get back on the groove I was on before taking the break.
    Change something.. maybe rearrange your desk... heck maybe move your desk... buy some marshmellowy cereal you loved as a kid and add eating a bowl to your things to do before you study. Your other groove led to burnout. Don't fret about what you cannot get back. Start a new groove. Best of Luck!!!! ;D
  • lsatblitzlsatblitz Alum Member
    521 karma
    @KimberlyK said:
    Change something.. maybe rearrange your desk... heck maybe move your desk... buy some marshmellowy cereal you loved as a kid and add eating a bowl to your things to do before you study. Your other groove led to burnout. Don't fret about what you cannot get back. Start a new groove. Best of Luck!!!! ;D
    All great ideas, I'll look for some Lucky Charms on my next visit to the grocery store. I'll also be studying at a new cafe tonight that I used to love studying at last year.
  • NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    edited September 2015 1654 karma
    I take two PTs a week and I do some LR and RC questions on off days, but I typically do not spend more than an hour on LSAT prep on non-PT days. I figure that I am well prepared for the October exam and the only thing separating now and getting the score I worked so hard for is only a matter of a couple of weeks. There's nothing else for me to learn now. I recognize that I have studied tremendously hard for this exam and gave it my all. Instead of panicking about test day, I'm mentally prepared because I exhausted just about every single resource to help prepare myself for this exam. So, please, ladies and gentlemen, take a break. What else is there to learn at this point? Many of us have been going strong for nearly a year and have taken 40+ PTs. We have participated in BR groups, read The LSAT Trainer too many times to count, watched JY and Jonathan's explanation videos and used Cambridge packets. Now is the time to relax before the big day. Yes, you should still take a couple of PTs a week to hone your skills and keep your mind active, but putting in 25+ hours a week is counterproductive at this point.
    @KimberlyK
    @nicole.hopkins
    @LSATdogfml