Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Character and Fitness Statement

KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
in General 217 karma
I have been placed on academic probation (which relates back to medical issues) and therefore I have to write a statement. My question is (or rather idea) is that this statement should describe any affected periods in my transcripts and does not have to be creative like the personal statement... Is this the correct way to approach this character and fitness addendum?

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @KimberlyK said:
    My question is (or rather idea) is that this statement should describe any affected periods in my transcripts and does not have to be creative like the personal statement...
    If your grades dipped due to this same issue then you should write a GPA addendum and then in the C&F Q you can refer to it and explain the administrative side of things (like, why were you put on probation—because of one F or 5 F's and then returning after time away, etc.). Generally C&F should be short and addenda would be the place to put some more meat on the bones of your story and difficulties as explicitly related to GPA.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Is this for UT by any chance?
  • KimberlyKKimberlyK Alum Member
    217 karma
    No, I can't move from my area so I am limited to South Texas, U of H, and TSU. I had a drastic medical diagnosis and I left (without dropping) an entire semester like 10 years ago in community college. Actually, I think I was put on academic suspicion (I am waiting on a call back from them. It was so long ago) but appealed (with doctors transcripts) and won my appeal. I wrote my Personal Statement in the Overcoming Adversity genre and it refers to my diagnosis in part but I do not plan on including a separate disability statement as I do NOT want my disability considered in my application process. I am not seeking accommodations for the LSAT.
    217 karma
    I do not have any legal stuff to disclose in Character and Fitness... Not even a speeding ticket....I look at it now and I may need to go ahead and write the Disability Addenda since two required documents will lean heavily on my disability.....
    217 karma
    Ok...I am talking to myself now but maybe someone will come along and help with my issue. Maybe, instead of a Disability Statement I can use my disability in a Diversity Statement....I do not show any outward signs of being disabled and have by far overcome the learning issues associated with my...diagnosis...Hmmmm *feverishly goes to web search*
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Anything you put on applications has zero to do with LSAT accommodations. You can either address your disability in a PS or DS. If it is in a DS just make sure you are able to illustrate how you will be bringing something to the table in a unique way that will benefit the school or your peers.

Also, addenda should not be creative generally speaking. They should be concise, factual, comprehensive and to the point without extraneous information.
    217 karma
    Thank you so much. That is exactly what I was asking. My PS is super strong and says as much about my illness as I'd like to disclose.