Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

pt 55 s3 q19

jmac800jmac800 Member
in General 94 karma
I actually understand C and how it is the answer, I am more confused around making sense of its meaning in a practical way, as it stands I need a way to understand how it was put it into practical understandable language (ie positive form) I watch the video and the answer choice was translated as : an ideal bureaucracy will always (never elminated) have (without eliminated) complaints about a problem that are not covered by regulation.

I'm just not sure what rules he was using to get here. Like when I come across these type of statements in the future, I need some method for dealing with them. Because I would have likely eliminated all the nots in the statement and I know it is wrong. Why did never become always instead of some times, and why did he elminate both without and never?

Would the negation test for this be:
an ideal bureaucracy will never have (without eliminated) complaints about a problem that are not covered by regulation.

or

an ideal bureaucracy will always/sometimes [not sure which one] (never elminated) have permanently without complaints about a problem that are not covered by regulation.

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    "I'm never without my phone." How would you say this in positive form? "I always have my phone."

"When crossing a street, a duckling will never be without its mother."
    How would you say this in positive form? "When crossing a street, a sucking is always with its mother?" Why? Because a ducking is never without its mother. So, "never without" means (roughly) "always has" due to the double negative.

Another double negative example: "I cannot not watch TV." What can't I do? "Not watch tv" so if I cannot ever be not watching tv, then that means I'm always watching tv.

Apply these examples to answer choice C and you'll be able to see why it turns into "an ideal bur will always have complaints about probs not covered by regs."

Finally, the negation of this would be: "an ideal bur sometimes does not have complaints about probs not covered by regs" or, going off of the wording in C directly: "an ideal bur will sometimes be permanently without complaints..."

Hope this helps!