RC Improvement for literature/art/music type subjects.

jmac800jmac800 Member
in General 94 karma
I really struggle with these types, analyticals told me so and I knew it to be true, the art passages are the worse, they tend to be full of alot of fluff words that I don't know the meaning of, I look them up so it has improved somewhat, but I don't know where I could find more passages written like this. For instance, I initially struggled with science passages but then started reading physics articles and peer reviewed physics articles and watching physics videos on stuff like dark matter so now I am fairly ok with them. I was wondering what would be the equivalent for art/literature type passages. Think like the Cameron art passage or the dostoyevsky type literature passage. Where are these articles drawn from and where can I read more of them so I can become more familiar with these types of concepts.

Comments

• legally_chelslegally_chels Alum Member
    edited September 2015 206 karma
    Hey there!
    I would suggest reading magazines like The Economist and Scientific American. I subscribed to these two and they have helped me tremendously with getting used to lengthy, dense material. They also helped me to better understand topics I wasn't so fond of before. I would also say to read articles posted from The New Yorker and Wall Street Journal just to get better acquainted with the legal/business jargon. As for the art/literature type passages, I would say try history.com. Click on topics and they have a bunch of topics that are trending right now ranging from The Roaring 20's to The Reformation, to Jamestown Colony, the American Revolution.. you name it. I feel like you can find pretty good art and literature passages in there if you search for them. I hope this helps. :)
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Try reading book reviews from the New York Review of Books. Not only are they about lit, but they're also in the form of an argument so it's a win win.
  • lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    edited September 2015 379 karma
    just try your best to find it SUPER INTERESTING. Also, understand why the author wrote certain things. like author is providing evidence, stating personal opinion, against something, etc.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    The best prep for RC is reading a lot of RC passages. You have more than 300 passages, already the perfect length and subject matter (not to mention level of difficulty).