Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

recommended reading list?

parkhj1019parkhj1019 Alum Member
edited December 2013 in General 12 karma
Hello,

I have bachelor's degree in science that when it comes down to reading paragraphs about political science or social science, I tend to have difficulty drilling down the core of what the paragraphs mean. Now that I have decided to take the time to prepare for LSAT properly (I'm aiming to take LSAT in December 2014), I was hoping I can improve my reading and writing for the meantime.
Can someone recommend me some list of books that will help me be familiar with pol sci/ social sci subjects?

Many thanks and wish you best of the season!
HJ Park

Comments

• misheikh91misheikh91 Free Trial Member
    7 karma
    The Economist. Subscribe to it and actually read the articles! I heard that they take out passages out of some of the really old subscriptions. If you read the articles from it, you'll definitely see the similarity with the LSAT passages!
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    edited December 2013 1878 karma
    Misidentifying the main point of the passage can be due to unfamiliarity with the topic. But in those cases, the lack of understanding would make other question types challenging as well. If you are only having trouble grasping the core argument, it is probably an independent issue of argument identification. Working on identifying main points, and practice with review, will eventually cement that skill in your reading.

Just a note: being familiar or proficient in a subject makes it easier, quicker, and more enjoyable to read a passage. But identifying the main point of a passage, and other question types, can still be answered without previous knowledge. The passage provides explanations for esoteric concepts and definitions for specialized terminology. No proficiency of the subject is assumed by the LSAT writers.

That being said, it is definitely beneficial to have a background and interest in the subject. If you are taking the LSAT in December 2014, that should provide time to read about unfamiliar subjects. Develop an interest in these topics. This can be done through reading or even watching a documentary. Also, perhaps after learning the basics of the topic, read a denser book on the subject or a scholarly journal to get used to the style of writing that the LSAT uses.

With a year to practice, put in the time and work but don't forget to give yourself relaxing time. Study hard and thereby earn down-time. Most importantly, enjoy the process: sharpening your logic and thinking, and learning about a wide range of subjects.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Torah makes a good point. Your strategy really depends on your timeframe. If you're taking it in February, working through as many RC passages and applying 7sage's RC method may provide more conducive than other reading materials. If you have a year to prepare, reading more challenging material like The Economist can condition you to parse out important elements within RC passages much more fluidly.
  • parkhj1019parkhj1019 Alum Member
    edited December 2013 12 karma
    Thanks for the reply but I don't particularly have issue in identifying the main point. I didn't mean to narrowly pin it down to identifying the main point, but I meant to refer to familiarity with the terms and subjects. For example, if a passage is about replicating machinery of DNA or neuroplasticity, I grasp the context immediately that I have sufficient knowledge to feel at ease about reading the passage, but it isn't so with other subjects. I was more looking forward to a list of books that will help me with general knowledge of other disciplines, but still thaks for suggestions.
    edited December 2013 3658 karma
    This may seem somewhat radical, but you can start by reading some landmark judicial opinions and dissents to get use to reading dense legal language. I took several pre-law courses during my undergrad and I found such landmark cases and law review articles were helpful in parsing out central arguments on both sides. Again, this was from my own experience. You already seem to have an idea of what works and what doesn't.
  • parkhj1019parkhj1019 Alum Member
    12 karma
    Thanks @simpaticonx! Do you have any ideas where I can find some readings written in legal language? If you mean law review articles or case studies, can you name some journals? I appreciate your help :) !!!
    edited December 2013 3658 karma
    I think any landmark case will do. You're not really reading for the subject matter per se, but more for its analysis and to condition yourself to read lengthy and complex texts. As for the law review articles, any of the top law schools would be great.
  • msdaisy16msdaisy16 Free Trial Member
    46 karma
    Personally I think you should just stick to reading the reading comprehension passages from the lsat. Don't make the test more complicated than it already is. But if you want to read political science articles then google the syllabus of different political science teachers at certain schools and that should give you a good idea of what their students are reading.