Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of questions should I be asking at a law school forum?

rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
in General 149 karma
I'm attending a law school forum this Saturday and I'm not sure what kind of questions I should be specifically asking? I would like to know about the costs and financial aid but when it comes down to specific programs they may offer I'm not even sure which programs I should be looking for. Thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Try not to ask anything that you could have found directly on their website! Stand out from the pack, don't be another person who asks about class size.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    My rule of thumb is to exhaustively (!!!) scour everything I can find on a school's website, both what they intend to be open to the public and what I'm able to sleuth out. And I never ask a question that my research has answered—though I find plenty of material that I need clarified or that isn't covered on the site.

If you have a good question—even/especially one that they're not able to answer—that will stick out in their mind; there will be a higher likelihood of them remembering you. And it will positively predispose them to you if you demonstrate genuine interest in the school (especially outside of the T6).
    7965 karma
    And don't ask about money. Same rule of thumb as applying for jobs/anything outside of explicitly salary negotiations. Don't talk about the money. Plus, you can easily (!) find this out online or from places like LSN.
  • rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
    149 karma
    These were all helpful suggestions, but I've been stuck thinking about what kind of question I could possibly ask that isn't directly related to anything on their website. I've come up with a few but it seems to me they are questions anyone could have easily come up with and wouldn't come as a shocker to an admissions dean. Any ideas on the direction of the question I could possibly ask?
    7965 karma
    @rockytoral said:
    but I've been stuck thinking about what kind of question I could possibly ask that isn't directly related to anything on their website.
    Have you REALLY done your research?
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Ask about things you are interested in or curious about. It's not necessary to ask questions in order to present yourself in a certain way, unless this is an interview -- and even so I'd stick to genuine questions.