Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I take the LSAT 3 times?

kristymoawadkristymoawad Member
in General 19 karma
I took the June LSAT. I'm signed up for October but I don't feel prepared. I was thinking I would take December instead.

My question is: would it seem unattractive to law schools if I took the June LSAT, cancelled my score for October, and took December?

Because I paid for October; I might as well take it for practice and just cancel my score.

Thanks

Comments

• NYC12345NYC12345 Alum Inactive Sage
    1654 karma
    You CAN take the exam 3 times, but why would you want to take it if you do not feel prepared?
  • kristymoawadkristymoawad Member
    19 karma
    Like I said, I would take it since I've paid for it and to get the extra experience of taking a real exam and cancel my score. I feel like that is more beneficial than just not going to the exam. Either way I'm probably going to take December.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @kristymoawad said:
    Because I paid for October; I might as well take it for practice and just cancel my score.
    No

You already got extra practice with June :)

Cancel Oct. Take Dec. Why would you put yourself in a situation where you CAN'T take it again (As you would if you do Jun/Oct/Dec ... )........
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    edited September 2015 1294 karma
    There are 75 prep tests to practice with. The only thing to gain in terms of experience from going to actual administered test is familiarizing yourself with the environment, test day nerves, etc.

But yes, If I'm not mistaken your maximum is 3 tries per every 2 years or something.
    1654 karma
    @nicole.hopkins said:
    Cancel Oct. Take Dec. Why would you put yourself in a situation where you CAN'T take it again (As you would if you do Jun/Oct/Dec ... )........
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that cancels count towards the limit.
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    @alexandergreene93 said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that cancels count towards the limit.
    I'm pretty sure that's for only if you sit in on the exam and cancel your score afterwards. If you cancel before taking the exam, it doesn't count.
  • LoraxManLoraxMan Alum Member
    180 karma
    Cancel after the test counts. Believe me, you dont want to be on team 3x. Just push back if you're not ready yet.
    19 karma
    Okay. I wouldn't take February anyway because I'm applying for Fall 2016. I didn't prepare well for October because I was so burned out from studying for June. I've taken well over twenty prep tests and I've reviewed them multiple times. However, my average LSAT score on full length timed PTs is a 165 with logics reasoning being my most challenging area. I got a 159 in June and was extremely disappointed. I'm trying to get a 165 on October I just don't know if I can do it. And then on the other hand, I don't know if I'm just underestimating myself. I know a reason why I did badly in June was that it was at 12pm and I was feeling extremely anxious. I've been trying to meditate to combat that but I don't want to choke again. Sorry there's so much information in this comment, but any help or suggestions or personal experience would be appreciated.
    1654 karma
    @kristymoawad said:
    I got a 159 in June and was extremely disappointed.
    What were you getting on PTs before the June exam?
    7965 karma
    @LoraxMan said:
    Believe me, you dont want to be on team 3x.
    WORD. What if you shit the bed twice on the LSATs, are finally ready for your third, and get freakin' Ebola (ok, stomach flu). Or a vertigo-inducing virus. Or break your thumb on your dominant hand the night before.

Sooooo many X-factors. Do NOT waste takes assuming your future (and final) take will be free of these kinds of things.
    7965 karma
    @kristymoawad said:
    I've taken well over twenty prep tests and I've reviewed them multiple times. However, my average LSAT score on full length timed PTs is a 165 with logics reasoning being my most challenging area.
    To be honest with you, 165 is a pretty normal score for someone who's only taken 20 tests to be averaging.

If your goal is 170+, you likely need to take at least another 20 tests, and probably more to really shore things up.
    19 karma
    I was getting like 163s before June so I haven't improved a lot because I haven't put in the work.

And I'm pretty sure I've taken more than 20. That was just the number off the top of my head. I checked my notebook and I've taken 36 (some timed/some untimed) since March.

So my idea now is that tomorrow, I'm going to go to my testing area (the classrooms are open on Saturdays) and just mimic test conditions as much as possible and see how I score. If I do worse than a 164 I'll cancel the October LSAT tomorrow. Do you guys think that this is a good idea?

Thank you for your time :)
    7965 karma
    @kristymoawad said:
    some untimed
    Well, untimed don't count :)
    7965 karma
    @kristymoawad said:
    If I do worse than a 164 I'll cancel the October LSAT tomorrow.
    It sounds like YOU want to cancel because you haven't been able to prepare as you know you'll need to. So if that's the tipping point for you, so be it. You could also save that PT and just go ahead and postpone and just dig back into studying tomorrow.

Why waste the PT ... You already know you're not ready.
    19 karma
    Not necessarily. I know I can do well if I apply myself and put in the work, just like everyone else. However, I'm not shooting for a 170. I'm super okay with a 164-165 on the exam and I think that I can get that with where I'm at now. I'm just not 100% confident.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    Okay woah. I was under the impression you could write and cancel on the day and not have that count as your 3x. That's not the case!?!?! Bevause my plan was to write October and, if I felt the test went well, I would keep the score. If I thought I let nerves get to me, I was going to keep it and see about another re write in December. I've taken December 2014.
    2074 karma
    Not keep it**
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    If you cancel on or after test day it counts toward your 3 takes
    7965 karma
    @harrismegan said:
    That's not the case!?!?!
    100% not the case.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Technically you could take it 100 times if you remember to abide by the 3 every 2 year. And a cancel counts as a take only if you sat for it and then cancel. If you cancel/postpone now then you're fine. I would prep hard for December and don't rule February out since many schools will still take the score for Fall 2016 admissions, and a 170 in February is better than a 160 in October for the majority of cases.
    2074 karma
    Ah yiyi. Now I'm strongly considering postponing it. There isn't any real push for October. Especially if I have two months to secure a decent and consistent score. Would that be the better option? I already have game day experience with December 2014. So I'm not sure what benefit I would get aside from potentially a good score.

Okay so. The two years then. If I DID write both October and December let's say. Would I get to retest December 2016? Or would it be two years since your last exam? DECEMBER 2017?
    19 karma
    Side-note, is there such a thing as a plateau?
    I've never scored higher than a 169 on a timed test.

If I register for the 7sage "LSAT Starter Course," and if I actually use it and put effort into it, could I bump my score so that I'm averaging high 160s? I stated earlier that my biggest issue is logical reasoning.
    7965 karma
    @kristymoawad said:
    Side-note, is there such a thing as a plateau?
    YES. Count on plateaus lasting at least 6 weeks in many/most cases.