Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question Stem Is Confusing Between SA And Principle

Martin01Martin01 Member
in General 343 karma
I am having a hard time distinguishing between Sufficient Assumption questions and Principle questions from the question stem.

Can someone please assist me?

Comments

• lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
    379 karma
    sufficient assumptions tends to be like "the conclusion follows logically if which one of the following is assumed?" .

Principle will say "which of the following principles most justifies the above?"
  • beth.flandersbeth.flanders Alum Member
    212 karma
    For Sufficient Assumption, I have been using a quick test where the words "if", "conclusion" and "assumed" are in the question stem then I identify it as Sufficient Assumption. There are variations to the word "assumed" such as "inferred".

For Pseudo-Sufficient question stems the words "if valid" and "justifies" and "conclusion". Also I've seen some question stems with "conclusion to be properly inferred".

Principle questions, that I've seen thus far, have the word "principle" along with "most closely conforms."

And as a disclaimer, there are almost always variations to the above and someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    There are conform to principle questions and principle application questions, some of which actually have a principle and application separately listed and you have to find an answer that is a situation that represents that proper application of the principle.

The PSA ones look like SA and the big clue is the use of the word "justify" in almost all cases. Usually you can treat these as SA questions that won't be completely airtight.

You could view all of the above as PSA questions if you want, though I tend to treat the former as what I think of when I think of principle questions, and the latter I treat as SA and sometimes diagram if need be. The former you usually just need to go through and see if they're meeting or breaking the rules of the principle given, as required by the application of said principle.