10/3 LSAT: Was not placed into room I expected / Advice on logistics of small desk test-taking?

petitigrepetitigre Member
edited October 2015 in General 227 karma
Hi, all. I just took the 10/3 LSAT. I was expecting to take the test in a particular classroom, Classroom A, that I am very familiar with. The testing center was changed to a new classroom last week, Classroom B. For the test today, though, I was assigned to a completely different room, Classroom C, than the one stated on the ticket I printed last night, albeit it was in the same building. I didn't realize that changing the room on the day of the exam was possible. Is this something I should just expect?

Additionally, the room I took the test in had really small desks. Really small. So small that the proctor even mentioned it. It is entirely my fault that I never once took a test on such a small desk. I don't have consistent access to one and Classroom A and B (where I thought I was taking the test) have large desks. I had a difficult time figuring out where to put my pencils, watch, answer sheet, and eraser. In the middle of the exam, some of my things fell off the desk. I was debating whether I should scramble to retrieve my things... and considering that one of those things was my watch, I went for it...

Do you have any specific advice about how I should position my papers and belongings on a small desk (I'm talking about one of those flip-up desks connected to a chair)? I usually have the practice test booklet laid flat so that I can see both pages-- should I fold the pages back so that I see only one page? That seems like an irrelevant limitation to what the test is supposed to measure. Also, because I did not practice on a small desk beforehand, I had to figure out the best place to put the answer sheet during the exam-- is it better to put it in your lap? Hold it in your non-dominant hand? Place it under the test booklet? I was nervous about putting it under the test booklet because I annotate the test and didn't want pressure to transfer to the Scantron. I'm prone to making Scantron errors so it's important to me that I fill in blocks of answers after every 2 pages or every logic game, but with a small desk, it was a huge waste of time to retrieve the answer sheet from where I had it (non-dominant hand, lap, underneath the booklet) after each of these blocks. Also, I had to hold some of my pencils between my knees under the desk because there was just no space on the desk. This is something I really need to be prepared for and would like serious advice as it is a huge issue for me.

I'm also curious about what your testing center was like. The June test-takers at my school said that the desks they had last time were huge (I know which ones they are talking about).

Comments

• inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    I think others answered your question in a few other threads, but I'm bumping this thread just in case it wasn't.