Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

valid argument forms

Martin01Martin01 Member
in General 343 karma
If one has learned all of the valid argument forms, does it make sense to learn the invalid forms? Of course, I could be incorrect, but it seems to be redundant to learn both. Please assist. Thank you.

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I think it's more efficient to learn both. If you only know valid, then you have to be constantly looking for valid and if you don't see something you know, assume it's invalid. It's essentially a two step process. But if you know all of the valid and invalid forms, then it may be faster to affirmatively identify an argument as either valid or invalid, all in one step.
  • harrismeganharrismegan Member
    2074 karma
    I learnt both!
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    Perhaps the most handy recall/use of invalid argument forms would be for mapping out a parallel flawed method of reasoning q-type.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    Right @nye8870, it's especially helpful for tricky parallel flaw questions! It's best to know that A-->B, B most C, therefore A most C is an invalid argument form rather than thinking "hmm this doesn't match up with my recollection of valid arguments."