Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reading Comp wont budge

diana1493diana1493 Alum Member
I am scoring consistently in the LR and LG sections of my PT's, usually -3 total for LR and -0 for LG save some dumb mistakes on occasion that have diminished now that my timing is doing amazing after drilling nearly all LG for 1-38.
BUT- my reading comp just isn't improving nor is it consistent. Sometimes I do pretty well, like -2,-3 and other times I ruin my entire score with like an -8. I am just looking for any guidance that any of you used that led to improvement. Timing and accuracy are both issues for me, I can't seem to get a good internal clock for RC and regularly run out of time.

I know that practice, practice, practice is key but any specific strategies are welcome. I just ordered the Trainer solely for the reading comp lessons because Im that desperate.
Like I said, any tips or strategies that helped you are welcome.

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    The Trainer should help a lot. And when you see how the RC skills mirror many of the macro level skills for LR you should gain a new perspective that helps you to get better at RC simply by applying many of the same thought processes.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @diana1493 said:
    Timing and accuracy are both issues for me, I can't seem to get a good internal clock for RC and regularly run out of time.
    Hi Diana—Why don't you PM me. I have some RC advice that is going to take me too long to type out at this point (so let's Skype sometime soon perhaps).
  • pritisharmapritisharma Alum Member
    477 karma
    @nicole.hopkins can I request to be included on the skype call , I am struggling with RC too.
    7965 karma
    @pritisharma said:
    can I request to be included on the skype call , I am struggling with RC too.
    Just PM me!
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Can we make that three of us? haha. I've done oh so, oh so many RC passages, but I can't seem to get it to improve. It's my main focus area right now.
  • LARamsNationLARamsNation Member
    edited October 2015 592 karma
    Incredibly RC is slowly becoming my best section.. I still have issues with science passages but after taking tips from the trainer and JY's memory method I've improved drastically... Started out -10 or -11 now I average -3 or -4 and by test time I'm confident I'll have it down to -1 or -2 MAX.

Tbh, all these methods -- and i've read all of them -- help to a degree but you need to find what works for YOU. Marking up a passage IMO absolute god awful waste of time, aside from the MP designation(s). While you're paraphrasing the small paragraphs in the passage on the margins it takes away from the flow of your read, which is beyond CRITICAL in comprehension. 75%-80% of the information in the passage is worthless, so why get bogged down in details. A friend of mine suggested a golden ticket, and it's worked wonders for me. HIGHLIGHTER baby. As the trainer notes, "let the main points right the way!" So I keep it simple, when the author expresses his view on an issue i'll highlight the introductory line where he/she is about to explain his stance... but I wont highlight the details. Same goes for the critics or any other viewpoint(s) in the passage. If a particular group of people or study is mentioned I'll highlight the line that introduces that discussion, but refrain from highlighting the details of the studies or group of people. I'll also highlight words that are defined by the passage, but I wont highlight the actual definition, just as I highlight the sentences that introduce examples for a respective viewpoint, but I won't highlight the actual details of examples. The less you highlight, the better. You get the point..

In doing so, you'll have a much clearer visual interpretation of both structure and content within a read. By not writing in margins you keep your eyes focused on the read and it's easier to remember where things are when your eyes aren't floating around the page as you scribble less-than-ideal summaries of paragraphs. I was SHOCKED to see how efficient this model is, so many question's arise where I already have the text highlighted needed for the answer. Mind you, I've only employed this method for about a month and half and it's insane how much better I am now. I cant promise this will work for everyone, but it sure as hell works for me. Good Luck! And if anyone has any other strategies I'd love to hear them as well!
  • diana1493diana1493 Alum Member
    78 karma
    @nicole.hopkins and others who want to hear Nicole's words of wisdom on RC-- we should all decide on a good time to do a Skype call so Nicole only has to explain it all once :) I saw your message Nicole, and unfortunately Friday (tomorrow) I am going to be traveling out of town right after work. Is next week an option? If I know more ahead of time, I can move my schedule around and be a lot more flexible. Let me know!
  • diana1493diana1493 Alum Member
    78 karma
    @movanation said:
    A friend of mine suggested a golden ticket, and it's worked wonders for me. HIGHLIGHTER baby. As the trainer notes, "let the main points right the way!"
    You seem to have had a lot of success with highlighting, a technique you don't hear often. I am definitely going to give it a shot! Question, do you do all of RC with the highlighter? Including any "m.p" notations, and going through the questions?

Also, I just got the Trainer and started the RC lessons, and I am feeling like its going to be a big help.
  • LARamsNationLARamsNation Member
    592 karma
    I do 99% of RC with the highlighter, but just for extra assurance that I don't skim over it I'll quickly note "M.P." in pencil when, and only when, I've decided that I've found the main point. Otherwise, strictly highlighter.
  • g1oriaaag1oriaaa Alum Member
    31 karma
    @diana1493 can you please let me know when you guys decide on discussing RC?!
    7965 karma
    Hehe--ok guys, let me take a look at my schedule ;)
  • Cayenne43Cayenne43 Alum Member
    195 karma
    @nicole.hopkins has this skype call happened? I have been struggling with improving my RC as well. I currently doing -2 to -4 on LR but then -10 to -14 on RC. Any tips would be great!