Feb LSAT 2014 - Feeling extremely discouraged

chloe.jacobs-1chloe.jacobs-1 Alum Member
edited February 2014 in General 20 karma
Hi everyone,

I am taking the LSAT next week (Feb 8th), and am feeling very discouraged and losing a lot of confidence in myself. I'm from Canada and want to apply to a law school in Halifax, Nova Scotia, where they accept mid 150s-160s. So my goal for this LSAT is around those scores. I've been planning to take the LSAT since last August (2013), with the intention of taking it in October, and then December, and eventually delaying in until this Feb. I'm in my last semester of undergrad, and I have been struggling with keeping up my GPA and studying for this exam (but who isn't?) I don't want to further delay the exam because the application deadline is the beginning of March, so this is my last chance to take it. I've been studying consistently since the beginning of Jan (having already taking a PowerScore course and 7sages course previous to that), but my scores are not where I want them to be. I haven't gotten above a 150, and took a PT yesterday and scored a 146 (the worst I've ever scored). This is really destroying any confidence I have for the LSAT and am honestly just embarrassed because I have been working really hard at this. I've tried different strategies and approaches to see if my scores would improve, but to no avail. My LSAT is in a week, and it's completely unrealistic to think my scores will improve within a week. So I'm at a stand-still because I have been studying very hard, I've been focused, and following the routine that 7sage recommends (waking up at the same time everyday, exercise, eating healthy, etc). Has anyone else struggled with this? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! I'm totally panicked.

**Please note - I am ONLY applying to Canadian law schools!

Comments

• nicoleskrablenicoleskrable Alum Member
    7 karma
    I'm kind of struggling in the same way. I am also taking the Feb. lsat next week and have been getting the same score over and over again. I guess kind of in an lsat rut. I have just been continuing to push along searching for more strategies. I hope someone can give us both some advice. Good luck :)
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    edited January 2014 1878 karma
    I can offer some generic advice but it would probably be most helpful to give tailored advice to your study approach and difficulties. Feel free to message me. I hope I can help.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    If you two are both feeling this way a week before the exam, perhaps it may be conducive to think of alternative options as sorry as I am to say. :(
  • Jaguar007Jaguar007 Free Trial Member
    114 karma
    Hi there don't feel embarrassed I studied for ever for the LSAT and am not scoring in the high 150s like I want to and low 160s

I also am in severe panic mode

but i already applied and this is my second cycle
    so what my strategy is is to do PT every two days and kill it with learning from the explanations the mistakes i made and writing them down in my own explanation to make sure I DONT MAKE those same damn mistakes again and to hope that god will take care of the rest on test day
    I def wish I had more time I also pushed the test back three times you are not the only one.
  • candiceminnaar124candiceminnaar124 Alum Member
    20 karma
    Hi Chloe, I totally understand where you are coming from because I am in the same situation (except that I have been studying far longer, which is even more depressing). Just yesterday, I decided just to write the damn thing in February (after putting it off for months then writing in December and cancelling the score) and let the score stand, which has taken the pressure off a little bit. After I made that decision, I wrote a preptest and scored a 163 (I know that's not that impressive, but its my highest score yet). Perhaps getting out of the "February or bust" frame of mind might help you relax like it seems to have done for me. Is it really such a disaster if you write and cancel, or wait and write again when you feel more ready? Whatever you choose, I wish you the best of luck. I can say with certainty that I truly understand how discouraged you are, but keep your chin up, champion!
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    Well said Candice!
  • chloe.jacobs-1chloe.jacobs-1 Alum Member
    20 karma
    Hi everyone, I appreciate all the positive feedback! It really means a lot to hear that I'm not the only one going through this! I will definitely try some of those strategies, I'm glad they're working out for you guys.

Candice, I had a quick question about the whole 'cancelling your score' thing. What if I'm not sure about my score after I write the LSAT? Is that just the risk people take to avoid having a bad score on their transcript? I really liked your idea of getting out of the 'feb bust'! It's definitely not the end of the word if I have to take it again, so might as well give it a shot!

• zhenderszhenders Free Trial Member
    228 karma
    Chloe,

A couple of things. The advice above about NOT having the "February or bust" mindset is super important. You aren't scoring where you want; if you go into this test thinking "this is my only chance!", you will probably end up really disappointing yourself.

Ask yourself why it is so important that you go to law school this coming fall. Is it because it is your only realistic tips, or is it only because you hate the idea of having to wait?

If you can find a way to re-adjust your mindset to thinking of beginning fall of 2015 as okay, there are some ENORMOUS advantages you will be able to benefit from.

1. More study time -- and an entire summer to study WITHOUT taking classes (this makes an enormous difference if you're truly motivated!)

2. The ability to go into the test without the feeling of "this test or bust!"

3. The best thing -- in my mind -- is actually having the time to get a GREAT score -- and thereby possibly opening up GREAT scholarships. Think of it this way: if you scrape by with a score that can get you in this year, but could have waited just one year and gotten a score that got you in comfortably AND got you a half or better scholarship (and often it's just the difference between a few LSAT points), you could end up "earning" between $40k and $150 (depending on how much your school's tuition is) just for waiting a year! Not to mention the possibility of making yourself eligible for schools you might never have thought yourself capable of getting into.

Bottom line: breathe. Relax. It's not the end of the world. Instead of running into this test at breakneck speed, take a step back, and figure out how to tackle it in such a way that you can be 100% prepared to succeed.

Good luck with everything.

P.S. in today's law school climate, having a retake doesn't really matter; VERY few (if any) schools can afford to "average" your scores; they're looking at your TOP score (the only one they are required to report to USNews).
  • candiceminnaar124candiceminnaar124 Alum Member
    20 karma
    A few weeks before the December LSAT, I still couldn't get above a 160 and I really just didn't feel like the scores I were getting on preptests really reflected how much blood, sweat and tears I had put into studying. A couple nights before the exam I decided that instead of withdrawing (I had already done before) I would actually write the exam this time and if it was an absolute nightmare, I could always cancel my score. (I've been told that its much easier to explain away a cancelled score than a low score on applications). I wrote the exam and it went okay but I still felt that I wouldn't get the score I really deserved, and I didn't want a low score to overshadow four years of slave labor to get a high GPA. At the end of the exam, you have the option of going up to the administrator and cancelling your score right then. You just have to fill out a few forms to be send off to LSAC. Cancelling your score means that you don't get to see it and the score doesn't go on your LSAC report so no law school will ever see it, but schools will see that you cancelled it. Alternatively, you can, like I did, go home and think about it for a few days. From the time you write the exam, you have only six days to go the LSAC website, print off and fill out the cancellation form and send it to LSAC via fax or express post. Once you cancel your score, its irreversible, so make sure before you do that it's exactly what you want. I don't want to make excuses for myself, but half my battle with the LSAT is struggling with pretty severe test anxiety, so I'm been working on overcoming that and I'm finally starting to improve. I'm gonna keep kicking ass till February 8, but now I'm at peace knowing that I've put in 100% effort, and I will let my score stand. If it goes well, then I'm off to law school in September, and if not, then I'll re-evaluate and continue kicking ass till June! I have come to realize that its not the end of the world if things don't go according to plan, we just have to adjust our plans and keep working hard and not get discouraged :) If you think about it we are pretty lucky to have the opportunity to work hard and pursue our dreams and whatever career path we choose - and one difficult test shouldn't get in the way of that. I encourage you to think of everything you have accomplished so far, and let the image of you sitting in your first 1L class drive you to keep going strong!
  • Ruby SohoRuby Soho Core Member
    106 karma
    Not sure if this is helpful but I planned on taking the February LSAT as well. However, I randomly looked at the application deadline for the school I really want to get into and they pushed their deadline back to May! I called the admissions office twice just to be sure....and they confirmed they did push their deadline back AND they will accept the JUNE LSAT. Seems like a lot of schools are willing to accept the June LSAT because apps are way down. I suggest calling your list of schools...because you might have a chance with the June LSAT.
    114 karma
    I love what Candice 124 wrote thank you for sharing that and I totallyyyy agreee with you it breaks my heart that my four year efforts go down the drain because of the damn lsat
    UHHHH
    I am not getting the score I Want but I am gone work tirelessly till feb 8 - this is the second cycle I am trying for! Good luck everyone

and I am always imaging myself in 1 L dammit!
    114 karma
    sweet xo xo which school are you referring to????????????????
    114 karma
    OMG i will cry if this is an ontario school omg omg omg!
  • Ruby SohoRuby Soho Core Member
    106 karma
    @Jaguar007 the school I am specifically referring to is Georgia State University Law School in Atlanta.

However, the same is true for University of Connecticut, Albany Law School, Quinnipiac Law School and Drexel Law School.

You should call around to your list of schools and ask if they will accept the June LSAT. I was totally shocked when my #1 school said YES and confirmed they pushed back the application deadline.

It wont hurt to ask :)) Lots of luck!
  • LSATPuppyLSATPuppy Alum Member
    82 karma
    What @zhenders says is really really important. The crazy thing about the LSAT is that it's nearly 1/2 of your application. The even crazier thing is that you can spend 4 years slaving away for your GPA but if you only spend 2 months studying for the LSAT and get a poor score - that poor score dampens your amazing GPA. The pressure of applying this cycle may be real and you may not have a choice but to take the LSAT as soon as you can. BUT if you have ANY room at all don't take the LSAT and settle for that score unless you've been acing your preptests with flying colors.

I like to imagine myself (and every LSAT student) as the karate kid and weirdly I actually see the LSAT as Mr. Miyagi...or maybe 7sage is Mr. Miyagi...or maybe it's a combination of both. Let's say I only give myself one month to learn karate/Mr. Miyagi. I think one month is enough but all I know is that I hate Mr. Miyagi. Why is he so strict? Why is he so weird? Why does he make me do such weird shit? One month goes by and really I'm still not very good at Karate and I know nothing about Miyagi. I extend it to three months and I learn all about Miyagi's sad past and his outlook of the world. I begin to open up and understand him and why he thinks about certain things. Month four comes around and I realize Miyagi is actually teaching me life lessons and I'm getting down the foundations of karate!

Several more months go by and karate/Mr. Miyagi becomes my life (we're still talking about the LSAT). Mr. Miyagi teaches me the crane move which is super duper hard and I struggle with it but I have time to practice. Come tournament day I walk in to the karate center knowing that if I do well, it's because I EARNED it. I'm not gambling on a good outcome, because of the time and effort I put into it the odds are in my favor. Therefore, I am confident.

So let's say you only give yourself a few months to study, you still haven't learned the LSAT through and through yet (you don't even know that there is a crane move!). I think everyone can get an amazing score if they just give themselves enough time and are motivated.
    edited February 2014 1878 karma
    The good news is that for all those discouraged, we are joined now by the Broncos. Hopefully, come the second half, they will pull through, and so will those taking the LSAT.
    edited February 2014 1878 karma
    Okay, let us sever this analogy. We'll take Peyton Manning's career instead. A classy quarterback who has many wins still in him.