Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm not sure if I should retake in December

aamirviraamirvir Member
edited February 2016 in General 51 karma

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    you can still get into those schools with that score but if I were you I would retake...
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    and put in your apps now
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Are you a URM? Do you need scholarship money?
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    @aamirvir

I am a CPA as well and took the exam the September prior (September 2014); my score was a full 10 points lower than my average PT scores (which were in the 170s). I can definitely relate to your situation. I decided to go back an get a masters in taxation, and I put the LSAT down for about a year since I was really pissed off about my score. I think the first thing you should do is to take a few weeks off from the LSAT and get all of your apps in order like @"Nilesh S" says.

I would try aiming to retake the exam in Dec/Feb. You seem to have an excellent grasp of the fundamentals of the exam since you are PTing in the 170ish range. However, even at 170 there are things to improve. Specifically, after that few weeks away from the LSAT, I would really analyze the exam you took, and I would take it un-timed. Understanding what went wrong on test day will be key to you modifying your strategy for the Dec/Feb exam. Really try to think about why your performance dipped: timing? nerves? misread a rule on a game? That sort of thing. If you notice a fundamental problem with a question type, then refresh your memory with the 7 Sage lessons and LSAT Trainer and drill baby drill.
  • brendanjbrendanj Alum Member
    39 karma
    I'm with you. I was consistently hitting 172 on my PT's and even felt like I dominated after writing the real LSAT. I thought there was a real possibility that I had a 173-175. Enter stage left, like 5 ridiculously stupid answer choices and I came in at 169. I dropped my worst LR section since maybe April (-6 on the section with the chameleon question) and then made roughly three absolute bonehead mistakes on the LG. Dropped two questions on the first game. Looking at that game, I'm sure I could ace it if I was drunk but that's adrenaline for you. I guess as an added bonus the LSAT writers threw in a lesson in humility for free. How decent of them. Back to the drawing board.
  • aamirviraamirvir Member
    edited February 2016 51 karma
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    I say retake. Scoring closer to your average would make a significant difference in your scholarship and acceptance chances.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @allergic said:
    Scoring closer to your average would make a significant difference in your scholarship and acceptance chances.
    Agreed. And don't worry—a LOT of people are in this position after their first take.