54.4.9 The Jacksons

Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
edited October 2015 in Logical Reasoning 3107 karma
I have spent about 30 minutes on this one, and I just don't see how A is correct or how C is incorrect.

Context: lines were crossed between the Jacksons and Sara.

Here was the sufficient assumption I was looking for; I used this to pick out the PSA:

Helpful to Sara and Not difficult for Jacksons to to pass on correct number----->Laudable action by Jacksons
Jacksons do not pass on correct number/Jacksons only tell caller that they dialed wrong number--->Action not wrong by Jacksons

Answer A: Helpful---->Laudable. Wrong----->Led person to believe . How is this the correct answer? Isn't the first condition missing the idea of something not being difficult? Also, -Led person to believe----> Not wrong? Where does the stimulus imply that this isn't wrong? To me, the passage doesn't link this idea.

Answer B: Completely wrong.

Answer C: This is what I chose. Helpful and Easy-----> Laudable and not wrong. Isn't this really good? Sure, easy isn't necessarily "not difficult," but this is a PSA question, not a SA question.

Answer D: Laudable--->Blah blah blah. Laudable should be the necessary condition.

Answer E: Laudable---> Blah blah blah. Same as D.

Comments

• diana1493diana1493 Alum Member
    78 karma
    I just took this prep test yesterday! Here was my thought process on the test, I actually almost went with C until I chose A because:
    Jacksons passing Sarah's number along would not be hard and would be helpful to Sarah.
    They did not lead Sarah to believe they would do this.
    Jacksons not passing Sarah's number along would not be wrong.
    Jacksons passing Sarah's number along would be laudable.

A: Always laudable to do something helpful to someone (Giving sarah's number is helpful and therefore laudable)
    Not giving Sarah's number is: [Wrong --> Led Sarah to believe they would]
    This is basically the contrapositive of stimulus: Jackson's didn't lead Sarah to believe they would --> Not wrong

I eliminated C because of the very last part, "not wrong to do so." The not wrong part relates to the stimulus in terms of whether or not Jackson's led Sarah to believe they would pass her number, and this is not part of the principle in C. The first part of the sentence is not sufficient to say whether or not it is wrong, only that it is laudable.

I hope this helps!