54.2.22 The publications

Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
I don't see how D is incorrect. E is obviously correct, but how is D wrong?

Professor V's book is getting people riled up over the origins of glassblowing (really exciting stuff). If V is right, then there would be not enough evidence to conclude that glassblowing started in Egypt (which is what most historians think). This traditional view is still accepted by the majority of historians. If V is right, we must conclude that glassblowing started elsewhere.

Answer A: So what? This doesn't even describe a type of flaw to begin with.

Answer B: The argument isn't circular.

Answer C: We don't need the criteria.

Answer D: Doesn't the argument do this? Isn't what "most historians" claim (line 6) conflated with the "traditional view" in line 8? How is this not the flaw?

Answer E: This is definitely the flaw of the argument, but I can't figure out how it is better than D.

Comments

• c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    I don't think I've ever seen a flaw that looks like D and I would be comfortable eliminating it on that basis. I think the answer would only be correct if the author was making the point that because an opinion is held my most people, it must necessarily be the view that has been traditionally held. Something along these lines. Really though this had no bearing on the argument.
  • c.janson35c.janson35 Free Trial Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    2398 karma
    As for your explanation for E, I think you answered your own question! It's better than D simply because E is the flaw of the argument!