Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can someone translate this for me? It is proving to be quite difficult....

LSATKingsmanLSATKingsman Alum Member
PT31.2.10 "Nothing that one should not have desired in the first place fails to be a pleasure"

If I shouldn't have desired it in the first place ----> it is a pleasure?

If I desire it in the first place-----> fails to be a pleasure?

Dear lord this is frustrating haha

Comments

• nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    My successful attempt at solving this question was achieved by assigning simple variables to the larger statements. So I said, “If something is A (justifiably regretted if it had not occurred) then that something is B (a thing I should not have desired in the first place). This made the logical map clear A --> B. Now the conclusion states C (forgone pleasures) some B (a thing I should not have desired in the first place).” So then the task became simple: I need to connect A to C in (at least) a –some- relationship. Prephrase: “Some forgone pleasures –C- are –A- things I would regret had they not occurred” . Answer choice (D) fits like a glove (but uses –many- instead of –some-).
  • saul.j.slowiksaul.j.slowik Alum Member
    54 karma

This question really pissed me off. I tried translating the premises using symbols and did not get the same sufficient assumption as the answer choice. Drove me insane.

• GrecoRomanGrecoRoman Alum Member
    edited June 2017 140 karma

I think it's the first one you did. Nothing would be negate necessary indicator and fails would be a negative. So you'd get "If you should not have desired it in the first place, then it is a pleasure". No one who studies for the LSAT fails to be annoyed by its garbled grammar. :smile: