Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is anyone using the powerscore bibles to study?

chelsea.ukohachelsea.ukoha Free Trial Member
edited March 2014 in General 4 karma
How effect are these series and has anyone seen any improvements?
Also what are you all doing to improve your speed/time?
-Thanks

Comments

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    If you're just starting, they're not bad. Speed improvement depends on where you are up to. If you are beginning, don't focus on time; it will improve with practice.
  • LAWSC816LAWSC816 Member
    edited August 2021 2 karma
  • Llaima01Llaima01 Free Trial Member
    230 karma
    I started with the bibles and I regret it (particularly for LG). I believe they complicated things with labels and categorizations that are not necessary. 7Sage materials are FAR superior. JY's curriculum is solid; his knowledge of "lawgic" is fantastic and his teaching method is outstanding. If you have to supplement, I recommend you study with the LSAT Trainer. It is superior to other written materials out there, and I believe, it complements nicely with 7Sage's curriculum. I read it from cover to cover. BTW, I am not associated with 7Sage or LSAT Trainer. I am just a student in CA prepping hard for the June exam.

• David WayneDavid Wayne Free Trial Member
    571 karma
    I agree. I have read all 3 bibles. The games categorization is unnecessarily complicated and JY teaches everything needed for -0. LR wasn't great either. There's one chapter on percentages that isn't in the 7sage curriculum, but JY explains everything you need to know in all the questions that use percentages.
  • wang.angela90wang.angela90 Alum Member
    8 karma
    I just started reading the LR and LG bibles. What's the best way to integrate the materials from bibles into the JY curriculum? Thoughts?
  • Drini925Drini925 Member
    67 karma
    honestly, i started off using those books and regret it more than anything. i feel like i now have to do far more leg work to rewire my brain in hopes of unlearning what they taught me. they are so convoluted with their details that you get lost and bogged down trying to interpret what's going on instead of spending time developing actual skills. for me, i think this became the most telling when i started tackling logic games their way. i would get to a practice test and FREEZE in panic as i tried to go through their list of TYPES of logic games (ie: pure sequencing, grouping/linear hybrid etc.) i could be looking at. even the way they tried explaining "the double not-arrow"... i just can't.

JY on the other hand, tells you from the get-go that there are two types of games: linear and grouping. and that's the truth. that one revelation is so priceless it helped undo the damage those books did to me and garner me so many of those coveted points.

Those books are expensive and confusing. They're not worth it. But if you think it's a good way to get acclimated and familiar with this beast of a test, go for it. Just do not use it as the definitive how-to.
  • ENTJENTJ Alum Inactive ⭐
    3658 karma
    I agree with Cara. The symbology they used in the powerscore bibles was a lot more complicated than it had to be. Stick with JY's methods, they've proven to be simplistic and very effective.
  • Nathalie NguyenNathalie Nguyen Alum Member
    68 karma
    I took the course alongside using the books and it was the worst mistake I could make. Not only did I spend a ridiculous amount of money. but they complicated things in my brain even more. I started fresh with 7sage and honestly its way better than powerscore. It's simple and to the point without all the blah blah blah.
  • lawyermimilawyermimi Free Trial Member
    10 karma
    I bought the LG Bible on ebay for only $15, unmarked, so really cheap. I did LG (simpler ones) as a child, so I do have prior familiarity with them. However, just reading it gives you a headache! They are so confusing in their explanations for no reason. I also just bought The Trainer, and it's like reading a magazine compared to the Bible. It is really clear and understandable. Right now I'm ONLY using the LG Bible for the practice games, then using JY's video explanations. Super simple and to the point. If you find it for cheap, and just want 28 games to practice then I think it's fine. Otherwise to even try to begin to understand what they are talking about-forget it.
  • alrm_cptalrm_cpt Alum Member
    10 karma
    I agree with the rest... Istudied powerscore before finding this site also and my test scores went DOWN from week to week. I also went from natural intuition on answering a lot of the LR questions correctly to freezing and trying to figure out the process they coach that I was getting everything wrong. I took 4 mos off and re-started with 7sage, and I am back to feeling confident in my answer choices and better yet understanding why I am wrong on the others!