Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A logical reasoning question(Sorry abt the title, I forget it from which PT)..

YY MMMM.YY MMMM. Alum Member
edited March 2014 in Logical Reasoning 73 karma
Whenever she considers voting in an election to select one candidate for a position and there is at least one issue important to her, Kay uses the following principle in choosing which course of action to take: it is acceptable for me to vote for a candidate whose opinions differ from mine on at least one issue important to me whenever I disagree with each of the other candidates on even more such issues; it is otherwise unacceptable to vote for that candidate. In the upcoming mayoral election, the three candidates are Legrand, Medina, and Norton. There is only one issue important to Kay, and only Medina shares her opinion on that issue.

According to the principle stated in the passage, in the upcoming mayoral election
(A) it is acceptable for Kay to vote for either Medina or Legrand, but it is unacceptable for her to vote for Norton
(B) the only unacceptable courses of action are for Kay to vote for Norton and for her to vote for Legrand
(C) it is unacceptable for Kay to vote for any of the candidates
(D) the only unacceptable course of action is for Kay to vote for Medina
(E) it is acceptable for Kay to vote for any of the candidates

Does the 'and only Medina shares her opinion on that issue' means Medina agree with Kay?

Comments

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Yes, 'and only Medina shares her opinion on that issue' = Medina agrees with Kay.

This is a very tricky question. Let me know if you need help.
  • YY MMMM.YY MMMM. Alum Member
    73 karma
    If so, I understand now.
    Because only M agrees with K, so it would be acceptable only that K at least votes for M or K votes for nobody. Therefore B is right.
    Thanks, @LSATisland.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Yes, but it should be stated regarding unacceptability.

If there is a disagreement on important issue - as there is with L and M - then you would need more 'such' (i.e. important issues) disagreements with other candidates for L and M to be acceptable. But that is not going to happen because there is no other important issues to Kay. Therefore, L and M are unacceptable.