26.3.17 (Flaw Questions Problem Set 18)

Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
edited October 2015 in Logical Reasoning 3107 karma
I had a very hard time differentiating D and C, I chose C since I thought D was descriptively inaccurate.

Parents who want to give their kids a good foundation in music should give them a good musical education. Formal instruction is sometimes apart of a good musical education. Therefore, a strong foundation needs to have formal instruction.

What I am looking for: Just because formal instruction sometimes works, it doesn't mean that it is necessary.

Answer A: So what?

Answer B: Who cares about if the kid is interested.

Answer C: This is what I chose after I eliminated D. This says, some people who have formal instruction don't have good musical ability. Knowing that D is correct, I think this would have worked if "ability" were substituted with "education." This would have made this answer choice exactly like D, but my problem with D is stated below.

Answer D: I don't see how this is the answer since it is descriptively inaccurate. The question stem asks us to point out something that the argument "fails to consider." Doesn't the argument consider the fact that formal education isn't sufficient for a good musical education? Isn't this what sentence 2 (the premise) explicitly states? How does the argument fail to consider this? I understand that the conclusion is way too strong given the premise (the premise is a SOME statement and the conclusion is conditional), but that to me is a totally separate flaw than simply "failing to consider" what answer D states.

Answer E: Good musicians is a totally irrelevant idea.

Comments

• HibiscusHibiscus Free Trial Member
    edited October 2015 82 karma
    I rushed this response so hopefully this is correct.

The argument states that people who wish to provide a strong musical foundation NEED TO ENSURE that their children receive formal instruction, using the fact that formal instruction is often a part of a good musical education as support.

Stating that they "need to ensure" means that formal instruction is necessary for a strong musical foundation.

However, if formal instruction is sometimes not a part of a good musical education, then there's no reason for them to ensure that their children receive formal instruction.
  • Accounts PlayableAccounts Playable Live Sage
    3107 karma
    @Hibiscus Thanks!

I get that that's the flaw (SOME statement vs. a necessary condition), but my beef is the way the answer choice is presented. How does the argument fail to consider what D says? Isn't answer choice D the premise for the conclusion, and therefore, is considered by the argument?