Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please help understand tricky question!

enzonabievenzonabiev Member
in General 44 karma
If anyone has Practice exam 1 and can help me with a question that I am having trouble grasping I would greatly appreciate it. Its from Section 4 number 21 and its a must be true question. I can't wrap my mind around D being the correct answer because to me it is logically equivalent to answer choice E so I automatically eliminated both. How is "some" different from "many"?

Comments

• deleted accountdeleted account Free Trial Member
    393 karma
    @enzonabiev

D is correct because of the contrapositive. No laws -> No crimes, therefore some crimes->some laws. In case you don't know contrapositive, the relationship is that a->b and not b-> not a are logically equivalent.

The reason why E is incorrect is because the logical relationship above says nothing about the number of crimes. "Some" on the LSAT means 1 or more. "Many" could mean any number. So while we can say that if there is a theft that is a crime, there must be a law making that a crime, it would not be equivalent to say that if there are many thefts there must be many laws making them crimes. Maybe there is just a single law?

Feel free to PM me if this doesn't make sense.