Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone please help!

rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
edited November 2015 in General 149 karma
I just took my first PT in months to prepare for the December LSAT. I finished the course a couple days ago and I scored a 151, and after BR 162. I did miss a significant amount of questions in each section averaging about 7 in each. I'm not sure where to go from here... Should I keep PTing until the exam or....? PLEASE HELP!

Admin note: Please don't post thread titles in all caps!

Comments

• edited November 2015 121 karma
    Honestly, I think you started PTing way too late for the Dec LSAT. I depends what score you are aiming for of course but a 160+ is unlikely to happen in a month of PTs even if you are studying the whole time.

I would suggest you postpone. You don't want to do more than 3 PTs a week. 2 is a much better number for your last month of studying. That would mean 8 to 12 PTs tops before the test which likely isn't enough for a substantial increase.

This is the LSAT so there are no magic bullet. Only time, hard work, and careful work will pay off.

If you insist on taking Dec I would suggest you focus on games. You can still get those down to -1/-2 maybe even -0. Bullet proof method games between PTs. But LR will take more work and RC is a heavy load to push up. Really think about whether Dec is right for you. Your stress and eagerness will only make things worse.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @markariangeorge said:
    Only time, hard work, and careful work will pay off.
    Yep. All are necessary conditions for success IMHO. I would postpone until June to ensure you have the time and patience to complete 2 PTs weekly with a thorough clean copy BR.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @rockytoral said:
    Should I keep PTing until the exam or....?
    Take it easy. You won't be ready for December unless your goal score is in the mid-150's. It just can't be rushed.

What's your goal score? With that we can help to set some different goals for you so that you can appropriately CRUSH the LSAT.
  • rockytoralrockytoral Alum Member
    149 karma
    My goal is a 160 and I've already postponed the exam twice. I need to apply for the Fall 2016 cycle, I cannot postpone this test any longer... In one LR section I missed 12 and after BR I missed only 5 and with the next LR section I missed 10 and after BR only 5 as well. I did not get to an entire RC passage so that definitely killed me.

If you have any advice as to how to increase my timing I feel like this will help me get in that 160 range.
  • 121 karma
    Lets take a minute here and distinguish "cannot" and "don't want to." They are different. I'm not sure what your situation is but it is very likely that you can postpone when you apply but you do not want to. What difference is there between applying this year or next year? Law School will still be there. Who knows, maybe with all this NY Times pressure, they might even be cheaper if you wait. If I am missing something in your personal life that makes you have to apply this year please let me know but if it is because you do not want to wait another year it is a whole different story.

Now here are some question:
    What is more important: getting into the best school you can/ getting the highest possible scholarship you can or applying this year?

If the answer to that is applying this year, well than: If you have postpones twice, why did you just start PTing?

A month of PTs is not enough time to increase you score in the way you want I think. No amount of advice on this forum will change that much. But if you really do have to apply this year this is the best I got:

For timing on LR, skip hard or long questions. Finish the easy ones first. This could mean skipping question 5 or skipping questions 16-22 and than going back. It is important to skip, specially if you are not finishing on time. I suggest you try to finish you first 10 questions in 10 minutes. 20 in 25 minutes. Leave 10 minutes or so for the 5 hardest questions and review if you still have time. Make sure you clean sheet Blind review your tests and circle all questions you have even the slightest hint of doubt. DO NOT SKIMP ON BR. You don't have time for that.

If you are sure it is do-or-die on the December test, which again I think is a very bad idea unless there is something hyper-unique about your situation, start taking PTs in the 70s asap. You want to get use to those. Maybe switch off between a PT in the 70s and one in the 60s for the time you have left. Know that if you do this, you are using you very best study material and if you do decide to retake later, you will have partially wasted these crucial test.

Basically: PT with very strict day like conditions, BR the $%!# out of it the test, bullet proof games between test to get your games as low as possible, and repeat but do not over do it. Give yourself at least an entire day of every week.

Best of luck.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Shake it off, start PTing 2-3 times per week with excellent clean copy BR and then just go for it. If your goal is a 160 then you should have safety schools that you could get into with a 150-155 especially given your "need" to start next fall. Depending on your GPA you could still get into a few schools in the bottom half of the T100, a bit higher if you're a URM.

Bottom line is that if you "need" to go to law school next fall then you need to be cool with possibly going to a mediocre or worse law school. It's not a super big deal if you have other things going for you, as I have met many amazing lawyers from terrible law schools and terrible lawyers from great schools. Just don't kid yourself about what your outcomes will be since you didn't do a proper job of preparing in the most responsible manner for your "needs".
    7965 karma
    @rockytoral said:
    If you have any advice as to how to increase my timing I feel like this will help me get in that 160 range.
    My advice is to take the test when you're ready. Sorry, it can't be rushed and there's no silver bullet. Don't take it until you've hit your goal score a minimum of 5 times. Period.
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    Bottom line is that if you "need" to go to law school next fall then you need to be cool with possibly going to a mediocre or worse law school.
    Amen to THIS.