Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of flaw is this? Overgeneralization or Sampling/Biased flaw?

in General 199 karma
In a recent poll conducted among readers of popular surfing magazines, surfing was ranked as the most popular sport and beach volleyball was ranked third. Therefore, it cannot be true that tennis is more popular than both surfing and beach volleyball. Part of me feel like this is a biased sampling simply because the readers are clearly supporters of surfing; so of course they would rank it more high. On the other hand, I feel it is also an overgeneation because it bases its conclusion off of those reader's opinion, and never specified if those polled were representative of the population.

Will there ever be a flaw question containing an overgenerzation and biased poll answer choice? because if both appeared as an answer, I wouldn't know which one to choose and why

Comments

• PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    Where are you getting these stimuli?
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Look at the source of the rankings. It's a SURFING mag. And the conclusion is about overall, ACTUAL popularity. So yeah, likely to be unrepresentative.