Point of Issue - Y/N list or honing in on difference?

Quinn NguyenQuinn Nguyen Free Trial Member
edited April 2013 in Logical Reasoning 94 karma
Hello there. Question on point of issue questions - which is better? doing the list method or reading through and determining the disagreement/agreement?

Fumbling between methods made me lose time on my recent PTs. I either start list method and then find the POI is easy to see and lose time or try reading and have to do list method because POI is not too clear cut.

Advice appreciated. Thanks 7sagers!

Comments

• Mark TenorioMark Tenorio Free Trial Member
    299 karma
    The list method (i'm sure you mean the check and X's) i try to avoid. It takes way to long in my opinion. What I learned is to define the main argument of each person and compare them. Flush out all that fluff. I've seen this for a majority of them. The harder ones tend to be more of a "MSS" disagreement which I think is harder to find.
    edited April 2013 299 karma
    What I mean by "MSS" is like the LSAT makers will just throw something in there that wasn't exactly discussed in discussion but enough for two people to agree/disagree on.

These I really reallyx10 hate.
  • Quinn NguyenQuinn Nguyen Free Trial Member
    94 karma
    Okay, I think I'll shoot for the intuitive approach. List method is useful for some things but, you're right, for the ones they don't explicit say I cross out as "no opinion." Thanks!
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    13940 karma
    I agree with Mark, the harder Disagree questions need to to first MSS a statement from the speaker's statements. Intuitive approach is the better, more seasoned approach.
  • Lori CarsonLori Carson Free Trial Member
    22 karma
    On point at issue/disagree questions, I do it the opposite way. I read one person's statement, fill in X or √ (usually end up with two choices), then decide between those two by reading the other person's statement. I find that that is quick and easy as I've quickly narrowed my answer choices down to two without too much thought.
    299 karma
    Hey Quinn, a great example of the "MSS" is PT 61, Section 2 Q7.

Notice how Talbert didn't say anything about Chess should be taught. Talbert just lists good factors about chess which you have to imply that Talbert is for chess.