Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to tell if it's a real principle question

mrlsat180mrlsat180 Alum Member
edited March 2014 in General 118 karma
What are the other types of question types that have the word "principle" in their stems but are not really principle questions? I know "pseudo sufficient assumption" question stems often have principle in them.

But I also just saw that 7sage has labeled PT65 Q6 as an MSS question and I'm really confused. The stem for this question is "which of the following most closely conforms to the principle illustrated by the argument?" I thought this was a principle question and diagrammed the conditional to formulaically look for the proper premise and conclusion in the answer choices but it seems that's not really necessary.

Comments

• David WayneDavid Wayne Free Trial Member
    571 karma
    Principle is sort of a loose word that the LSAT uses for a variety of question types.

MSS principle questions along the lines of the one you cited are not PSA questions. PSA questions are usually (i don't want to say always) indicated by the word 'if', much like a sufficient assumption question. They also often use the phrase 'most helps to justify'. You're being asked to identify a statement that would act as support, whose strength is usually between the strength of a traditional strengthening answer and a sufficient assumption answer (not traditional-strength support, but not validity level support either).

Regarding preptest 65 section 1 question 6, i think you should disregard the label of MSS. I've often seen JY label these types of questions as parallel reasoning questions, which is essentially what this question is asking. An argument is presented and the correct answer choice is the argument that is most similar.

When you see the word principle and you have determined that the question is NOT a PSA question, you need to adapt to the situation and get clear on what is being asked of you. Sometimes you'll be asked to identify a principle underlying an argument, which is sort of similar to a necessary assumption in alot of ways. JY often labels principle questions that don't look like this one as miscellany questions that you sort of just have to think on your feet for. I know that isn't a great strategy plan, but most of these tend not to be too difficult, and i'm sure you didn't have trouble getting this one correct.

It's also unwise to start diagramming until you are certain you will need to. Finish reading the stimulus first and then make the decision.