PT 69-S1- Q18 - In order to encourage personal

Hi all, could someone help me see why B is not supported? The way I see it, the scientist shouldn't be allowed to profit from his technology... But if he isn't ALLOWED to do something, isn't that a restriction? And doesn't that go against the statement "Society should not restrict the performance... except to prevent negative effects" ?

His profiting wouldn't cause negative effects; it just wouldn't spread the benefits around. The second part of answer B says that allowing others to profit wouldn't diminish the scientist's own profits. But that's irrelevant, isn't it? Either way, it's still limiting/restricting the scientist. This seems inconsistent to me.

Thank you so much! I feel like I'm missing something very obvious here.

Comments

• DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    We want an answer that contradicts the stimulus, not one that is irrelevant. The stimulus essentially states that if you’re restricting, then you preventing negative effects. TO contradict that,we negate it: Restricting AND not preventing negative effects. That’s the combination we need. Anything else is irrelevant. That, I think, is the key point you’re having difficulty with. That and this:
    @"QQ ILLSAT" said:
    The way I see it, the scientist shouldn't be allowed to profit from his technology... But if he isn't ALLOWED to do something, isn't that a restriction?
    B isn’t restricting the scientist; it’s giving more permission for others to profit. The second sentence isn’t irrelevant. It’s stating how there’s no restriction, which makes this answer irrelevant to the above principle.
  • QQ ILLSATQQ ILLSAT Member
    34 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor Got it. Thank you so much.