PT73.S2.Q19 - a carved flint object

kpeter4kpeter4 Alum Member
edited June 2017 in Logical Reasoning 12 karma
Anybody know why the correct Answer choice B weakens the argument??I just can't seem to see how communal objects being passed down from one generation to the next weakens the argument.

https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-73-section-2-question-19/

Comments

• joannewujoannewu Member
    53 karma
    @kpeter4 The stimulus starts out by stating the object was found in a tomb. The argument is saying that rather than the object being a weapon, it is a communal object that was passed around to indicate who has the right to speak. Answer B destroys that argument by saying that communal objects would be passed down to subsequent generations, meaning it would still be used today, and not in a tomb. Therefore, it weakens the argument by eliminating the possibility that it is a communal object.
  • beth.flandersbeth.flanders Alum Member
    212 karma
    In my copy of PT73 it's Section 2. Anyway, my first time through this question, i used POE which made me arrive at answer choice B. After thinking about it some more, if a speaking stick is supposed to be passed around then how can it be buried? It can't unless the speaking stick is no longer used. Thus answer choice B, does weaken the argument.
  • batniki1batniki1 Alum Member
    226 karma

But then, what if this one time it was an exception... What if the guy/gal buried did not have any children to pass the object to??? Then you flush the answer choice down the drain... While answer choice E very well weakens the argument, mind you it's still not a perfect answer choice, but could weaken it....