PT76.S2.Q18 - medical patients instinctual ability

yhan2015yhan2015 Member
edited December 2015 in Logical Reasoning 11 karma
Necessary Assumption question. "An article claims that many medical patients have an instinctual ability..." Can anyone explain why the answer's B?
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-76-section-2-question-18/

Comments

• GhoorchGhoorch Alum Member
    57 karma
    The negation of B says "Even if no such change actually occurs, patient's predictions of sudden changes in their medical status are not less likely to be remembered by medical staff"

The reasoning of the argument is that because in an analogous situation in which maternity room staff were more likely to remember busy nights with full moons and they just didn't remember the busy nights without full moons (ONCE that because known), and that analogous case was disproven.... For that reason we should not trust anecdotal evidence.

The negation of B says that medical staff can remember the cases in which patients made predictions, and got it wrong. That destroys the bridge in the authors reasoning.
  • GhoorchGhoorch Alum Member
    57 karma
    Which answer choice had you picked? I could maybe tell you why that answer is incorrect.
  • destinyriggsdestinyriggs Alum Member
    23 karma
    I had to skip this one because I couldn't find the bridge in any of the answers. The gap for me was between anecdotal evidence and remembering. Hard question.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    I believe @Ghoorch is right on target. For us to accept the conclusion we must appreciate the full analogy. Clearly in the analogous case, the staff's bias of recollection was key to showing why the rumor became popular while still factually inaccurate. So in the case of patient predictions, it must be the medical staff who recalls wrongly in a similar way.