Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you read the question stem before the argument?

i.pollocki.pollock Free Trial Member
I've heard arguments for both. I'm naturally inclined to read the argument before the question stem but I wrote the 12/5 LSAT today and probably got one of my worst scores ever. Since I will probably be re-writing, I'm looking at switching up my strategy for a better performance on the next go 'round.

What's your approach?

Comments

• Alex ShortAlex Short Alum Member
    112 karma
    I've always read the stem - but to be fair, that's how I prepared for the test. For most stems, what is being asked of me clicks almost instantly and then I have a tunnel like focus as I read the stimulus. I read MBT questions slightly different than MP, which differs slightly than NA, etc.

I've read most high scorers read the stimulus first but I do much better with the question stem. For reference, I am currently PTing ~88 raw score, which varies but it's usually around 169. Good luck!
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    edited December 2015 198 karma
    No. I don't think either way is better generally though. I read the stimulus first because that works a lot better for me. It helps me focus. When I did 7sage's curriculum I began reading the question stem first and my LR scores got worse. When I went back to reading the stimulus first, my LR scores immediately improved.

Regardless, if I were you, I'd give in a shot and see if it helps.
  • J.H. SongJ.H. Song Alum Member
    201 karma
    Yes, I always read the question stem first. My reasoning is very similar to that of @"Alex Short" , I like to go into the stimulus knowing what I'm looking for. Once you go through so much of the LSAT questions, you generally have an understanding of what each question type is looking for.
    A great example may be the main conclusion questions. Once you know you're looking for the main conclusion, sometimes all you have to do is look for that "But these scientists are wrong", then just skim through the rest of the stimulus just to be safe and go right at the answer choice that best rephrases that. Those questions can really take like 20 seconds, while going in and reading the whole thing, then reading the question stem, then most likely having to go back to the stimulus just to verify what the conclusion is, will more than likely take more than that.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    This is not a silver bullet in either direction. Just go with what you've been doing because this is not something that is going to make the difference for you. You need to gain a deeper understanding of the patterns at work in LR across questions and tests so you can see how the right and wrong answers are just always repeating themselves and you can get more familiar with what certain flaws actually look like so you can recognize them on sight.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    I've tried both and I've concluded: Fuck yeah I read the question stem before the argument!

1) You want to know question types, so you should immediately be able to say "oh this is a ____ question, so I need to do the strategy for a _____ question."

2) You're going to read more actively if you have a purpose - so you're going to focus on different parts of the argument for different question types. In my humble opinion, you'll be much more efficient and effective.
  • LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma
    Yes, reading the question stem first allows you to know how to approach the question and what to look for. For example, you'll know if you should be looking at the stimulus with suspicion searching for gaps, or if it's just a series of facts without an argument.
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    Just find what works best for you. like einstein said image
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    198 karma
    Since I seem to be the odd one out, I'll explain why I read the stimulus first. First, most of the time after I read the stimulus, it's obvious what the question stem is going to be. Even when it's not, I never feel lost or blindsided by question stems. So reading the stem first doesn't give me an advantage in that way. I also find that I read more critically when I approach the stimulus first because I'm not preoccupied with one thing, instead my head is fresh/empty and I'm looking at the entire stimulus with a very critical eye. When I use this method, I'm consistently -0 or -1 in LR. Conversely, I always missed something when I read the stem first. When I read the question stem first I cannot absorb the information in the stimulus as well. It's as if I'm distracted.

• i.pollocki.pollock Free Trial Member
    20 karma
    Love the different approaches/perspectives/reasoning. Elle, that's exactly why I read the stimulus first. If I read the stem first, I get tunnel vision when I read the stimulus after and I usually miss something. Don't think I'm going to switch it up, I just need to try to improve on what I've been doing.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @i.pollock said:
    Don't think I'm going to switch it up, I just need to try to improve on what I've been doing.
    Great idea. If you can find a way to make what you are comfortable work, then go for it. I started out reading the stem first (via The Trainer) so that's what I have always done. I would put myself in a mess if I tried to go a different route. Best of luck to you.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @Pacifico said:
    This is not a silver bullet in either direction.
    Thank you ...
    @"Quick Silver" said:
    Fuck yeah I read the question stem before the argument!

Yes!! Haha! Mic drop.