Workshop Wednesday! Active Reading with @c.janson35

DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
edited December 2015 in Study Groups 7468 karma
Tonight is our inaugural workshop, led by Sage and Tutor Corey Janson! He’s gonna help us get better at ACTIVE READING!

Be on the lookout for the link for this conversation at 7:30 ET!

Only 25 spots are available! First come, first served!

Wednesday, Dec. 9th at 8PM ET: Active Reading with @c.janson35

Click here to join this conversation:https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/618065093

Fine Print

(NOTE: you all want to be lawyers; reading fine print is what lawyers do, so READ IT!)
  • We are NOT going to use Skype for these sessions.
  • Instead, we are going to use GoToMeeting.
  • There is a space limit of 25 per session. This limitation is dictated by both GoToMeeting and the function of these workshops, which is interactivity. If we had more people on, the interaction would be scant, at best.
  • Approximately, one half hour before the the scheduled workshop will begin, a link will appear on the forums, inviting you into the workshop.
  • If you want to attend these sessions, you MUST click that link.
  • Here’s an FAQ on GoToMeeting.com: http://www.gotomeeting.com/meeting/online-meeting-support
  • Then, download the application (for your computer or mobile device).
  • Attendance will be on a “first come, first served” basis.
  • Once the workshop is full, it’s full. Nothing to be done.
  • Chances are, if you’re going to be late, there is a strong possibility you won’t make it in.
  • There will be no recordings of interactive workshops.
  • If there is demand, we will repeat interactive workshops at different times.
  • These groups work best when folks from ALL stages of prep and with all different goals join in! Not just for "super-preppers" and definitely not just for the casual LSATer (does such a person exist?).
  • The only expectation anyone has for these calls is for you to have fun and ask questions as you desire. We are just a bunch of LSAT lovers who gather via GoToMeeting and intellectually slaughter each test.

Comments

• amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    I don't find a download option? I just made a profile on the website and Im assuming that sufficient for me to join the meeting tonight? SO excited for it :) thank you all for organizing these :)
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @amipp170 said:
    sufficient for me to join the meeting tonight?
    You'll actually need to keep an eye on the forums! No profile is needed. You will be given joining instructions ~30 minutes before start. It will involve clicking a link. Do make sure you've downloaded GTM. You can always Google "download go to meeting." I have to help people with this at work all the time ;)
  • amipp_93amipp_93 Alum Member
    585 karma
    @nicole.hopkins thank you so much nicole! YOU DA BEST.
  • SimplyColeSimplyCole Member
    60 karma
    Do we need headphones with a mic?
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @SimplyCole said:
    Do we need headphones with a mic?
    They're definitely helpful but you can also dial in by phone (phone numbers are provided by GTM but it's much easier for all involved if we just use the app).
  • SimplyColeSimplyCole Member
    60 karma
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    Here’s the link: https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/618065093
    Click to join, then download the software if you haven’t already.
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited December 2015 5120 karma
    Incredibly informative and so helpful, thank you Dave for making it happen!!! Corey has a great way of explaining his thought process of how he "reads" the LR stimuli and pre-phrases before approaching the AC's. Looking forward to implementing his "active" reading strategy to make it more intuitive! Incredible advice for overall test strategy in the Q/A session:)
  • ML_LSAT_KillaML_LSAT_Killa Alum Member
    267 karma
    Thanks Cory and Dave! Workshop was wonderful! wind in my sails...
  • cacrv567cacrv567 Alum Member
    171 karma
    I've been studying for a while but managed to learn a couple new things from Corey to incorporate into my studying - thanks and hope we'll have another one of these with you to get to the RC sesh!
  • poohbearpoohbear Alum Member
    edited December 2015 496 karma
    Posting here too, just so other students can see this:

Just got out of the first workshop with Corey on Active Reading! It was immensely helpful to hear him speak about experiences, see him do the questions in (almost) real-time, have him explain his thought process, allow us to try out the methods, and be a part of the Q&A at the end. I would love to be a part of another one with Corey to cover more on the RC side of active reading since we didn't get a chance to do it tonight. I can't wait to join more of these in the future!

Thanks again to Dave for organizing this! Ya'll are GREAT!
  • FLAguyNSeoulFLAguyNSeoul Alum Member
    141 karma
    Thank you David and Corey for facilitating the workshop on Active Reading. It was extremely helpful and beneficial. It was one of the smoothest and most interactive webinars I have been a part of. I'm sure some of the credit goes to you two gentleman as well as the GotoMeeting platform that was used. GotoMeeting was easier to interact on, and I had a much better user experience than any webinar platform I have used. To date, I have been a part of webinars on Blackboard, Skype, WebEx, and the webinar platform used by the University of Chicago.

Thanks again for the introduction to GotoMeeting and all the information you gave during the Active Reading session.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    To second the AP, I too enjoyed GotoMeeting a lot more than the other mentioned platforms. Thanks again guys!
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    Those slots filled up super fast! For those of you who joined, what did you learn?
  • bbutlerbbutler Inactive ⭐
    401 karma
    Thank you to Corey and Dave for doing that and @nanchito I just posted a bunch of notes on a separate discussion for you to look at. Started out very conceptual and then moved towards actually working problems together interactively, it was great!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    If you guys want to watch this is good for another 7-8 hours, it expires 24 hours after the broadcast. https://www.periscope.tv/w/aTnDBDc0NDY5M3wxZWFKYmtncGxnbnhY1gBmEs3UuubuGtfiOFLJlq9-9hvuuT0hzTRVaN5K8rA=
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    @stepharizona You held a camera for 2 hours? Your arm must be tired! :)
    3197 karma
    @DumbHollywoodActor it was a balancing act with my laptop but part of the reason I skipped out after 2 hours :) hey good prep for holding it tonight for 3-4 when I periscope parts of the Cardinal game from my seats!

Thanks again last night to both of you for the session.
  • Cogito SumCogito Sum Alum Member
    26 karma
    Outstanding interface and outstanding hosts. I also want to say thanks for sticking around so late for the Q&A. It ran much longer than I was expecting and I'm grateful that it did. Kudos!
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    @stepharizona For future ref, you can broadcast your screen without a video camera by going here:
    https://www.join.me/
  • hazelnut13hazelnut13 Alum Member
    244 karma
    So sorry I couldn't make it! I work a 9-5 so these times are a little difficult but I hope to make it to one soon!
    3197 karma
    Ha thanks @"Dillon A. Wright" it was just from my phone so not a biggie, but thats great I never knew about that site! I could have used that for a class I taught a few weeks ago!!
  • twssmithtwssmith Alum
    edited December 2015 5120 karma
    So if the 25 spots fill up before you - could you call in on the phone # as Stephanie posted during Corey's session and then possibly watch the screen on the "join me" site?? @nicole.hopkins not trying to add any extra steps, I promise:) Pretty convoluted but is it feasible to be able to attend real time?
  • truekauaitruekauai Alum Member
    edited December 2015 71 karma
    It was an awesome workshop! Corey, thank you so much for sharing your insight. It was great to see how you actively engage with LR questions. Dave, thank you for organizing this. You are doing a great service for everyone!