Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

tips on helping you sleep??

lpadr009lpadr009 Free Trial Member
in General 379 karma
I am the kind of person who starts to lose sleep the moment there is some pressure (even knowing i have a PT coming up consists as pressure). Is there anyone like this who has found ways to dealing with these sleep issues? my biggest problem is waking up earlier than i should causing me to only sleep about 5 hours

Comments

• kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    I do this same thing and I've found going to sleep really early helps me.
  • sarahfatima28sarahfatima28 Alum Member
    320 karma
    I have similar issues with sleeping. Every night I put on a podcast (news/lecture/talk show/informative) and listen to it. It helps me because it slightly on the dull side not like music which excites my mind and it's not entertaining enough to keep me awake wanting more. It has helped me a lot over the years. Give it a shot. Listen to stuff on tunein radio app or even apple podcasts app. Remember nothing too exciting or entertaining. Just the right level. Hope this helps. ☺️
    320 karma
    Also, when you wake up earlier than you want to you can follow the same routine. Listen to something and put yourself back to sleep.
  • Quick SilverQuick Silver Alum Inactive Sage
    1049 karma
    If you're not normally used to getting up at 6 or 7 make it a practice EVERY Day for up 2 months prior to test day so your body makes it a habit.

No blue light before bed. Read a book instead.
  • allergicallergic Alum Member Inactive Sage
    246 karma
    Exercise a lot the day before the test and don't let yourself get too much sleep two nights before.
  • blueyayfreeblueyayfree Alum Member
    164 karma
    Exercise is key in my opinion.

Not only does it make you physically tired, but it literally makes you happy (mmm, drugs; I'm actually addicted to it, I think), which makes stress easier to deal with. For example, on the days I grade my practice tests, I always work out. This makes those PT's where you fuck up and bomb a section that you usually nail way easier to handle, because if you're feeling good/happy after working out, it's easier to rationalize the screwup positively, which makes subsequent studying way less of a stressful burden. Alternatively, if you do really well, you can bask in the glow of those endorphins all evening, secure in the knowledge that you are awesome, and then go to bed nice and early.

Eating a healthy and precisely-structured diet enhances the benefits of exercise, too.
  • nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @sarahfatima28 said:
    Listen to something and put yourself back to sleep.
    I put on youtube waves or rain or trains or highway noises. Works like a charm :-)
    320 karma
    @nye8870 i know right! I have tried everything there is but nothing has helped me deal with insomnia like this method has.

@Ipadr009 make a habit of getting in to bed at a fixed time and preferably early. Don't look at the screen just put something on and keep your eyes closed. Good luck!
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    If it is mental stress causing you not to be able to sleep, take a moment to identify exactly what it is that is stressing you out, name it, and own it. This will allow the stress to dissipate because you are able to exercise control by identifying and naming the source of your stress. Whether trying to sleep or not, anytime you feel a nagging stressor (e.g.- money, shitty boss, finals, papers, lsat prep, etc.) just work to identify what is really bothering you and your brain won't need to work as hard to keep pushing it on you. Take control of your brain to take control of your life.
  • kennedybjkennedybj Alum Member
    697 karma
    Whatever you do, don't look at your phone
    8021 karma
    Download "Relax Melodies" for putting babies to sleep... you can layer some relaxing noises over one another... zzzzzzzzzz
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    I use "Relax Melodies" to put myself to sleep. Rain + Heavy Rain + Slow Waves = zzzzzzzz
    8021 karma
    Gotta love that flute... always reminds me of South Park...
  • cjones76cjones76 Alum Member
    318 karma
    hahaha... the monk chant is pretty great as well
    320 karma
    @Pacifico I use to love that app. It helped me to relax (sleeping part dint work out for me)
    There is another free app called Calm. You guys should try it. The background in this one is beautiful and realistic. Again it's therapeutic for me but doesn't put me to sleep.