Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Signed up for February LSAT but should I wait til June 2016?

noobie1noobie1 Member
in General 266 karma
I started prepping for the LSAT about 2 weeks ago in hopes of being ready for the Feb 2016 test and apply late in the cycle. I've been going through the video lecture (about 20 hours in) and just took my first PT (2007 LSAC Practice Test) this morning. I scored 164 which was a little disappointing since I am aiming to score 99% (174+). What is a realistic score increase by the February exam date assuming I continue to study 3-5 hours a day (I have a full time job)?

Comments

• J.H. SongJ.H. Song Alum Member
    201 karma
    I strongly suggest waiting for June. Unless you have an overwhelming reason to apply this cycle, applying in June makes more sense in so many levels. 1) Your diagnostic (not a true diagnostic but close enough) is much better than most students, even the ones that do end up scoring the mid 170's that you're aiming for. The chance that that will happen in a month and a half. HIGHLY unlikely. You should give yourself more than that to go through the curriculum alone, before the PTs come in. 2) Applying in February, although acceptable in most schools, just limits you in so many levels. You're aiming for mid 170s, so I'm going to assume you want either a shot at HYS, or significant money at other T14~20s. Both are much easier to achieve early on in the cycle. Your decisions will come out very close to the deposit deadlines, which will give you a very small time frame to negotiate for scholarships. Also, even if the consensus is that there is very minimal advantage in applying early (say September or October) over December or January, applying late Feb. and March will certainly have an impact in your chances. Most schools will have filled most of their seats, so at that point they are picking and choosing the applicants that will bolster the stats (or type of diversity) they need to meet their goals.

Again, you have a great potential to reach that mid 170s score range, but aiming for February is highly unrealistic and will likely cause you to stress and use up all your PTs in a desperate effort, which will then impend your preparation for a June retake as well. So I highly recommend prepping for June, then even considering October if you're not ready or want to retake.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @"J.H. Song" said:
    Again, you have a great potential to reach that mid 170s score range, but aiming for February is highly unrealistic and will likely cause you to stress and use up all your PTs in a desperate effort, which will then impend your preparation for a June retake as well.
    Amen to this. Couldn't have said it better!
  • mjpatty12mjpatty12 Alum Member
    102 karma
    Dude first of all congrats, you scored a 164 on a diagnostic, thats amazing. You are the type of person who is most likely able to reach the goal that you mentioned in your post, give it time so that you can make it happen!
  • sarahfatima28sarahfatima28 Alum Member
    edited December 2015 320 karma
    Exactly. You got a 164 just after two weeks of prep. If you consistently work till June there is a very high possibility that you can score a 180. Don't rush into it. That's the worst mistake you can make.
  • J.H. SongJ.H. Song Alum Member
    201 karma
    @sarahfatima28 I am with you in what you're trying to say, and I'm only half-jokingly pointing this out, but "very high possibility that you can score a 180" is just a tad bit strong. I would not say that to anyone. But I agree with the spirit of your comment and word for word with every other point you made.
  • sarahfatima28sarahfatima28 Alum Member
    320 karma
    @J.H.Song Hahahaha yeah I guess I got a little too carried away. But honestly I think s/he has a very good chance of doing that well. Why hurry?!
  • noobie1noobie1 Member
    266 karma
    Thanks for the advice. I will likely push my exam to June.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    @noobie1 said:
    I will likely push my exam to June.
    I think usually when folks ask this question, they know the answer :) It sounds like you've come to it. Kudos—you'll be in much better standing with earlier takes for next cycle anyway.
  • Nanchito-1-1Nanchito-1-1 Yearly Member
    1762 karma
    You are what they call a unicorn.

The sky is the limit.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    Push to June and best of luck to you. Don't waste your gift by rushing for February.
  • PacificoPacifico Alum Inactive ⭐
    8021 karma
    June with fall tests as backups. Law school will always be there when you're ready.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member
    266 karma
    I felt an urgency to apply this year because I'm already 40 y/o. Still I think it's best to give myself an opportunity to do my best on the LSAT. Does anyone know if age will matter for T6 schools? I've read that it does matter for full-time mba programs.
  • GSU HopefulGSU Hopeful Core
    1644 karma
    @noobie1 I don't have any specific knowledge, but I would think that if you bring something to the table like experience, moving their LSAT or GPA medians up, etc.. then they will happily take you.. regardless of age. Best of luck to you!