PT 69.S1.Q25 - a folktale is a traditional story told in an entertaining way

shizuokatwin379shizuokatwin379 Alum Member
edited January 2016 in General 95 karma
http://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-69-section-1-question-25/

Ok, a can be properly inferred if which of the following is assumed questions.

I disagree with the right answer on this one.

In the first sentence the question states, verbatim, that "a folktale is a traditional story told in an entertaining way, which may lead some to think that folktales lack deeper meaning". It goes on to disagree with this and say that they are passed on through generations and thus provides great insight into the wisdom of the culture.

So as I see it there are two possible required assumptions. 1) That any tale that provides insight into the wisdom of a culture has a deeper meaning. OR 2) That any tale that is passed along through generations is capable of providing said insight and wisdom.

Right off the bat A) answers number 2 so I tentatively circled it, but decided to check for any that answered 1, which would be a stronger answer in my opinion.

B) on first glance seems to answer 1, but in my opinion doesn't, so was just put there as a trap I figured, being the last question.

B) which actually turns out to be the correct answer, states that "Any tale that provides insight into the wisdom of a culture is deeply meaningful in some respect."

Here is my problem with B, How is "deeply meaningful" and containing "deeper meaning" in any way the same thing? Something having a deeper meaning implies that under its surface it has another, "deeper" meaning. That in NO way to me implies that it has to be "deeply meaningful" which to me simply means it has an strong impact on the reader/listener. For B to be correct, in my mind, either it must read something like "Any tale that provides insight into the wisdom of a culture has a deeper meaning." or the stem must be changed to say "...that folktales lack meaningfulness".

Am I simply mistaken about the meaning of "deeply meaningful" and what the phrase "lack deeper meaning" implies?

Comments

• nye8870nye8870 Alum
    1749 karma
    @shizuokatwin379 said:
    Am I simply mistaken about the meaning of "deeply meaningful" and what the phrase "lack deeper meaning" implies?
    I think so. I get your take on the two different phrases but I really think they say the same thing. "Deeply meaningful" means meaningful on a level deeper than the surface. "Deeper meaning" means there is meaning on a level deeper than the surface.
    Good eye on this one. Still I wouldn't go so far as to say they "shifted terms", which is always a problem for an argument.
  • Elle2015Elle2015 Alum Member
    edited January 2016 198 karma
    Also, the conclusion of the argument seems to be that "Folktales don't lack deeper meaning." If we assume that great insight/wisdom = deeper meaning then the argument would be sound already and there wouldn't be an assumption gap to fill, so we can't assume that and answer choice A can't be right. It doesn't clearly address the deeper meaning aspect at all. It just repeats things about insight/wisdom. Your second assumption isn't valid.