Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Addendum for letter of rec?

tbram519tbram519 Alum Member
in General 77 karma
Probably an unusual question, but I have an unusual situation. I contacted the one professor I worked for, took multiple classes from, TA'd for etc back in October. She said she would be more than happy to write me letter. I haven't been able to get in contact with her for months, and my old school would not release any information. She is very old and I recently found out she is battling cancer. Of course, I don't expect her to write my letter now.

I have one solid letter from a prof, and I have a backup letter from my high school English teacher (the class was a college-in-the-high-school class, for what it's worth). Should I mention this stuff in an addenda? I recognize a letter from a high school teacher is probably a little lame, but I did write my optional essay about him. There is no other professor I was very close to/could expect a letter from in a short amount of time. Addenda or not to addenda?

Also, is it okay to mention multiple things in the addenda? I want to write about my upward GPA trend as well.

Thanks everybody!

Comments

• stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I wouldn't as it would just bring attention to the fact you didn't have other teachers to get letters from. I'd try to get one more professor or just go with what you have and don't write an addenda for it.
  • Nicole HopkinsNicole Hopkins Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    4344 karma
    @tbram519 said:
    Should I mention this stuff in an addenda?
    No way!

@tbram519 said:
    There is no other professor I was very close to/could expect a letter from in a short amount of time.
    DEFINITELY ask this person.

Oh, and you should post a version of this question to the Mike Spivey Q&A thread (pinned at the top of the forum) :D And then come to the webinar on Weds!
  • tbram519tbram519 Alum Member
    77 karma
    Thanks! I didn't think I would, but thought I would ask. Definitely attending the Webinar!