Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Copying conditional chains for LG questions

hayley383050hayley383050 Alum Member
edited April 2014 in Logic Games 9 karma
Hi to all you smarty pants out there! I'm hoping to get your feedback/tips.

In LG questions where the rules from conditional chains (e.g. preptest 33 December 2000 "Birds in the Forest" game) does anyone copy the conditional chain over for each question in order to cross out failed/irrelevant rules along with drawing up a new game board? It seems much clearer/more accurate to work out failed conditions and their inferences this way, but I am worried about the time restraints on test day. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6866 karma
    Of course it's always going to be clearer to re-write everything, and that's a great thing to do in practice. But not only is it a time waster on a timed run, you really shouldn't need to. At the very least you should be able to work off of writing the chain down exactly once in each 'direction'; ideally, you'd be able to do all of the contrapositives and satisfying sufficient/necessary conditions in your head. If you're not at that point with your basic conditional logic, you need to be; otherwise, you're going to have a really bad time once things start getting more complicated.

The short version - while it's fine to recopy everything for now to practice, you're eventually going to need to get to a point where you don't have to.
  • hayley383050hayley383050 Alum Member
    9 karma
    Thanks for your comment Jonathan. That makes perfect sense, with more drilling/practise I can see how you can to and fro with the conditional relationships in your head. Much quicker. Thanks again!