PT56.S3.Q21 - george: throughout the 1980s and early 1990s

yhchoi1687yhchoi1687 Alum Member
edited February 2016 in Logical Reasoning 80 karma
https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-56-section-3-question-21
I understand Jon's explanation on this question, but I was tricked by the question's word choice "revival" in the answer choice (D).
Doesn't "revival" imply that the ballroom dancing had been once popular before?
The passage doesn't mention anything about this.
Probably, I was too nitpicking, but could you clarify this?
Thanks!

Comments

• runiggyrunruniggyrun Alum Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    edited February 2016 2481 karma
    I think the fact that it had been popular before can be inferred from the way that George phrases his question: "hardly anyone took lessons throughout the 80 and early 90's. Why are they doing it now?". That's a subtly different statement from "hardly anyone used to take ballroom dancing lessons before. Why are they doing it now?"
    His phrasing suggests that ballroom dancing had been popular before, and the 80's and early 90's were distinct from other times with regard to their lack of ballroom dancing classes (we already know that to be true in real life, and singling out a period for its dearth of ballroom dancing gives us permission to use that knowledge).
    I think you're right that "revival" was thrown in there exactly to confuse people into not choosing D, but as long as the stimulus doesn't specifically preclude the fact that ballroom dancing had been popular before the 80's (and it doesn't) the use of "revival" shouldn't disqualify D.